Sunday, January 24, 2010

Shouldn't January Be Over?!?!


I don't know why, but this month has seemed eternal! We have been busy with things...first, here is our family picture we sent out to everyone. If you didn't get it...sorry! I must not have your address. You have to look at the pictures we took two years ago (on the bar to the left). We have all changed quite a bit! It's amazing how much the kids have grown in two years!

Alec went to take his permit test and didn't get it :(. We have to go back (I told him when he felt he was ready) and take it again. When we went, we saw Derrek's best friend there taking his, so I had a good time chatting with his mom and laughing about the boys.

Derrek might be out of a job, soon. They are tearing down the building (McDonalds) and building a new one on top of it. It will take three or four months and so either Derrek has to find something else or hopefully get re-hired when they re-open. He's a little stressed. He really likes the extra money, even though he complains it is never enough (we keep telling him..."welcome to our world"). Plus, he has to pay for his insurance and misc. things (clothes, eye solution, etc.) so that worries him. We are kind of glad because now we can teach him how valuable a savings account is and right now he can be out of work for at least six months and be okay! He's only been working since October! It's a lesson for us all!!! We celebrated my mom and sister's birthdays by driving to McDonald's to visit Derrek while he was working and get some ice cream! It was fun for us!!!

We have started a new "allowance" program. It is working so far. Yesterday Alec was about done with it, but it is because he saved everything he had to do for one day! We started giving them allowance because I thought it would be better for them to take the money that I would spend on their needs (clothing, personal items, etc.) and learn how to budget it and save for when they need shoes or other things, then they are responsible for it and it cuts out me having to say "no, that's too much" or "I don't have money for that". But, they weren't working for it. Now that Derrek is working (which is another reason...we wanted to prepare them for when they started earning more money...learning how to budget and save), he said that he wished he would have worked for his allowance. So, we started doing that with Calvin and Alec. They have extra chores each week (Scott and I don't think they should be paid for things that help us function as a family, like dishes and vacuuming, etc.). They are now cooking twice a week for me (each) and ironing church shirts, doing laundry on Saturday, cleaning the playroom and backyard. It has been a blessing for me because I am now able to do the other things that I relied on Scott to help me with, like getting Ashton to do his homework and violin! But, with Bishop stuff, he is gone most of the week. So, it has been a huge help not having to work on dinner, too. I only cook two days a week! It is really weird for me! Plus, I am really excited that they will be able to take care of themselves when they leave our home. I think I am going to start having Derrek cook on Wednesdays, though. He is the one that needs to learn. He always has Alec do it for him! But, Alec won't always be there with him!!!


Dallen is playing basketball. When I asked him during sign-ups, he didn't want to go, but then his friend got him all excited and he was lucky enough to be able to get on their team (the dad coaches the team). So, he plays for two hours every Saturday. I just want one to love sports, so that I can have an excuse to go. Plus, it is good for them to have something that Scott can support them in :) Anyway, here is a little glimpse of what we get to see for two hours every Saturday! He is the one dribbling the ball first and then shuffles around trying to get open!



1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

That's how I always feel about February. January goes by fast enough, but Feb seems to drag on forever while waiting for spring.

Your allowance plan sounds smart, they'll learn so much about money and they'll appreciate how much everything costs, and I bet they'll be smarter shoppers when it's their dime.