Sunday, July 10, 2011

Happy July!


(Scott and Amy on the 4th...picture taken by a child :)

I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe 4th of July! Ours was quiet and actually, it was fun. I had gotten fireworks off of Groupon ($25 for $50 worth of fireworks, and then I had $10 from Groupon for using my mobile app, so the fireworks cost me $15 for $50 worth! I love a good deal!).

(Calvin, Dallen, Scott, and Ashton playing with fireworks)

We had the missionaries over for dinner. One Elder was very new...two weeks! But, he was doing good...he's from Chicago and adjusting to the heat :). It was nice having them here. We didn't get to do that much in Utah. Then for family night, we had our normal and then went and did fireworks.

(Dallen and Alec ready to light the "big one")

I had to give a talk today about the "role of the founding of the US in the restoration of the Gospel". Wow! I learned a lot. I don't think it was anything I had ever questioned, but to find out the history and things that were going on to get this country up and running, I have a deeper respect for our Founding Fathers. Scott talked about Temples and Ashton talked about Tithing. Ashton actually had his talk done last week! He came home right after getting the assignment and prepared his talk and didn't think twice about it all week! Lessons to learn from our 13-year-old! He asked me when I was going to get mine done, and I told him I would try not to procrastinate. I got it done Saturday morning, and for me that was not procrastinating...Saturday at midnight would have been procrastinating :).
(Dallen with one of the puppies Kathie, Scott's sister, is fostering. We have been having fun visiting them at her house.)


We had a crazy week. We spent 4 hours one day trying to get our cars registered and licenses. I went to the DMV three times trying to register our van. Each time I went the lady would say "oh, you don't have this done" and in my head I'm thinking "Why couldn't you have told me that two times ago?!?" Anyway, it all got done. Calvin has his permit, Alec has his license, as well as me and Scott and the cars are registered. It was interesting because the kids (and Scott) got a glimpse into what it takes to move and change everything. I have never had to get them involved before and moving requires a lot of changing of things.
This is a picture is of Shep who would lay here guarding the chips. I find it funny because he never ate any...he just guarded them and when the kids would want a bag, he would growl at them. Can we say "possessive"?


Scott started his first week of long hours...he starts school at 9:00 then goes to work at 11:30 and then goes to school from 5:30 to 10 and gets home about 10:30. This schedule will continue the rest of July. He is hoping that one of his classes is cancelled so that he can be able to work more, because frankly...we need the money. But, either way, I know it will all work out...it always does. We found, though, that exercise is so important. On the days that we didn't exercise this week, he would come home drained and tired, but on the days we did exercise he was able to make it all the way through the long days with no problems.


The boys are going to Scout Camp this next week. It will just be me and Dallen home. I am excited to be able to do things with Dallen. He doesn't usually get this one on one at such a young age. Later in life, he will, but not so much now. Alec is so excited that I am pretty sure I will have to give him some tylenol PM so that he can sleep. This is like Christmas to him. He packed almost as much gear as Calvin and Ashton combined. He's very excited.



I still haven't been able to find a job. It has been an interesting process. I was frustrated early on this week because I was feeling like the Lord knew that we needed the money, but then at the same time I felt that I can't be away from the kids that long. So, the jobs that I applied to, I thought were going to be the perfect fit. One, in particular, had good hours and would have been right down the street basically and right by the kids' high school. I was sure I could get it. After I didn't get it...I of course, complained to the Lord, and then had gentle thoughts afterward of "those jobs were not right for you". So, I quickly humbled myself and remembered that the Lord does know me and knows that my family is so much more important to me than any paycheck and He is aware of our finances and we will survive. It will be scary and I am sure I will break-down more days this month, but I know that He is watching out for us and as I continue to put in applications and put myself out there, He will help me find something that is perfect for me and my family and for that I am grateful...but, darn it's hard!



Well, that is all for this week. We will have fun reports of camp and bonding for next week :). Hope everyone is having a fun and safe summer.

No comments: