Sunday, August 21, 2011

More 1st day of School(s)...

Derrek started his SENIOR year this last Monday. I cannot believe I have a Senior!

This is a picture of him on his first day of school for his Senior year (Okay...Derrek...you need your hair cut! Of course Alec and Calvin said it looked awesome)! He knew I wanted a picture and was so sweet to remember! I hate not being there to capture pictures...but he's taking care of me and what I'm missing. He has a good schedule this year. He is really excited about Graphic Arts 2, which takes up two block hours. It is probably his favorite class. He is also taking Chemistry, Language Arts, US History, and Lifetime Activities...whatever that is. I was looking at his classes and noticed that he already has 150% in his Language Arts class. Calvin said "over-achiever". Calvin's one to talk, because he tries to do the same thing (Derrek's a good example). Derrek was thinking of changing some of his classes around, but decided to keep what he has.


Now to the best news...SCOTT GOT INTO THE MORTUARY SCIENCE PROGRAM!!!! We FINALLY got the official letter on Tuesday, but found out Monday because he bugged them again. The crazy thing is, school starts tomorrow and the only information they gave him for it was to just show up on Monday...not any specific place or anything...just show up to the school. Luckily, it's a program in it's own building out in the middle of nowhere (they are working with the dead...), so it shouldn't be too long tomorrow until he figures out what is going on. It seriously is a miracle that we have gotten this far, especially considering the lack of communication this school has "provided". We are just glad he is in and on his way.


The only bad thing is that he will now have his hours at work cut to half day and I seriously don't know how it's all going to work out financially (it's already ridiculous at $10/hour.). To be honest, I can't even think about it because I get so stressed out I feel I am going to have a mental breakdown...and sometimes there are days that I do. It's extremely frustrating knowing that I am perfectly capable to work and can't find a job or as Aunt Dar said "the right job will find you". There was a talk today in church, I know it was for me because as soon as she started I knew and then there were things she said that literally had me in tears...it was about patience and how it isn't about sitting back and doing nothing (which is what I have been feeling like doing because the past couple of days have felt that I can't do this anymore), but it is actively going about and having hope and faith...UGH! I know this and in the past have truly lived and believed it, but this time has tested my patience more than I feel I should have to wait. It's been hard, too, because I have been able to see the blessings from not having to work, like being there for my kids, which is SO important to me, and seeing blessings of money coming to us in ways that we never expected, and yet, when those blessings come, I have felt..."okay, THAT must have been the reason we were to wait" and then expect everything else to fall into place as I think it should be. I have good ideas...but I have to trust that the Lord has a better idea. It's hard. I just want to know what He knows!


Other news...Scott got a calling this morning at church. It was funny because the Bishop saw us walk in and literally almost jumped at us to talk with us. I was glad Scott was getting a calling. He has been wanting to serve and has felt misplaced because the calling wasn't coming, but it too has been an interesting process because the Stake took a couple people from our ward to serve and therefore left spots open for those who have just moved in, and Scott was one of those spots. Anyway, he is called to be Priest Quorum Advisor and Varsity Scout Leader...and in this ward...it is no small calling. Scott is really excited, though. He will be with Alec, and in a couple months, with Calvin. He will be teaching lessons and going on camp outs and the Bishop knew, as soon as the Stake took the brother that was serving in this position, that Scott was being saved for this position.


Anyway, we are settling in better to the area. The boys are still doing good with school. Alec and Calvin have a wonderful friend, Jonathan Hooper, who has taken them under his wing and helped them make this difficult time tolerable. Jonathan is a REALLY good kid. He is in our ward and reminds me a lot of Derrek, how he is always trying to do his best and afraid of messing up, and just an all around GOOD kid. Anyway, Jon has been trying to work out after school three days a week because he wants to get better for Volleyball tryouts so that he can be on Varsity this year. Well, Alec was thinking of trying out for it this year and Jon said that he would help Alec train and teach him how to jump and stuff. So, Jon takes them to the rec. center after school MWF and they "train", doing cardio (running, elliptical, etc.), weight lifting and other exercises. I asked his mom is Jon is doing okay with them tagging along and she said that he is loving it because it pushes him to do a little bit better and teaching them is helping him also. It's been a really good experience and they come home really happy and feeling accomplished (especially Calvin...he loves a good workout). Dallen and Ashton are still doing really good.


Well, this week we have birthdays (Scott and Alec...Scott's 40th!) and the Bowler Adult Getaway (we can only go for a day, but it should be fun).

2 comments:

Todd and Wendy said...

Amy I appreciate your posts so much, thank you for keeping me focused. I love your family and am glad the boys have found a friend, and YAY Scott. i love you Amy!

gilgensteurer said...

You make my heart so happy! I love to read what you are all doing except I REALLY miss you guys. I especially miss you at work, Amy:( But this whole move and school and new career path are just so awesome for all of you. I know your finances will work out - the Lord knows you and your needs. We love you so much.
Mom

OH...what a fabulous calling for Scott. All Bishops should be called to YM cuz they know how it runs!!