Sunday, March 11, 2012

I forgot...

I realized this week that I have forgotten how to budget my time when I had a job. I was able to work this last week, and that has been nice. It is a temporary job and we have the kinks (I hope) worked out. I still have to bill him, and we'll see how that goes :). Anyway, it's been challenging learning a new program and trying to remember after 8 months where things should go, but for the most part, it's like riding a bike. Except, all other areas of my life have seem to have fallen by the wayside! I feel like I have just been putting out fires, and dealing with stuff as they come along. Mostly with the kids, but also with my callings, and other responsibilities. School has been put on the back burner this weeks, as well as food shopping and planning meals and getting things done like cleaning the bathrooms and laundry, date night and going to the temple.
These things are just always there and so if they aren't screaming for my attention, they don't get it. I don't remember how I did it all before! Anyway, it has been a good reminder to have balance in life. There are always things that will take our time, but choosing the best out of the pile is what is important.

We had my cousin, Kristy and her daughter Makayla (sp?) here with us. It has been nice to see them. I don't know them very well, but I am glad that they would call and ask to stay here. Kristy and her family are planning on moving here to the Phoenix area to continue with schooling. Makayla graduates this year (a year early) and wants to attend ASU. Kristy has gone back to school to be a court reporter. Alec and Makayla went river rafting yesterday...and yes it is FREEZING COLD still! But, once Alec has an idea, he can't get it out of his head. So, they didn't make it to where the kids usually float down to because Alec was so cold. It was a nice day, though. Calvin and Ashton have been having a lot of fun bonding over bowling. Calvin is really enjoying this bowling class, and he takes Ashton with him when he bowls.

Dallen hiked a hike called "Flat Iron". Supposedly Alec and Calvin didn't go all the way up to the top and the leaders have been giving them a hard time because Dallen did go to the top. Anyway, Dallen is a great little hiker and loves being outdoors. He came home and collapsed for three hours (he was so tired he couldn't even take off his shoes. He was in tears almost just thinking of having to move!). We then took him out for his birthday dinner (yah...it was a month ago!). He chose Olive Garden. He was nice to let us take our friends visiting from Las Vegas with us (Dave McElvany, Lars, and Shawn). It was a fun time.


Derrek went to Preference the Saturday before Spring Break. We wanted him to come down that day, but he wanted to keep his commitment and go to Preference with Kyle Thayer. She has been friends with Derrek and Alec for awhile. I know Alec really liked hanging out with her. Fun girl.


I guess Preference went well. Derrek didn't tell me much about it.


Derrek and Lexi came down the following Monday during Spring Break. We were so happy that they had the same Spring Break as we did. Talk about "tender mercies". It was fun meeting Lexi. She held her own with this group and seriously, they can make or break you. She was initiated into the boys' world (which I am just used to) and she was great. We really loved having them here.




We went bowling a couple of times. Calvin was determined to get his class done this week, so it seemed like we did a lot of bowling. It was fun, though, and Scott got to go with us one of the times.




It was Dallen's, well...second time and cousin, Jeremy's first time to do Baptisms at the Mesa Temple (Dallen had gone with our youth group two nights before. That was his first time). I thought it would be awesome to do it all together as a family. Heidi and her kids that could go, came with us. So, in this picture it is Alec, Charity, Derrek, Lexi, Calvin, Jeremy, Zac, Dallen, and Ashton in front of the Mesa Temple. It was fun and I just love the temple.


After the temple, we just HAD to go to Bahama Bucks for some shaved ice. It was delicious and always a treat. We also went to the Phoenix Zoo with Heidi and her kids the day before. It was fun, but really warm. A lot warmer than I thought it would be. We were there for about 5 hours and it was perfect. It was nice having older kids. They all got to go their way and Heidi and I had a great time with Matt and Sam, so no pictures of the Zoo.

This week we were back to life, except for the XBox being gone for two weeks. It's been really nice, but you would have thought I cut off Calvin's legs or something! He is "so bored" and there is just "nothing to do". So, we have had a few discussions. They got it taken away because he got an "F" and Alec got a "D" in their last quarter classes, so they have to get their grades up and turn everything in and prove that they can have it back. And...they have been doing much better! We'll see...it's a constant battle.


I finished my contract job. I am so grateful for the experience. It taught me a lot. I'm glad, though, that I can also be home. Scott is still doing great with work and school. Only a few more weeks until he graduates! He's done amazing.

No comments: