So, hours after I posted last week "could things get better, please"...Scott was in the Emergency Room with Calvin! I guess that is the answer to my question. Calvin got a severe concussion at school on Monday. He was coming out of class and Alec was right there. They normally "bump" each other or do something "brotherly". This time the "bump" in the hallway caught Calvin off-balance and he fell strait backward and hit his head on the wall, instantly slumping down unconscious. He wasn't breathing because of the way he was slumped and a teacher came and lifted his head up. He started breathing, but then started to have a seizure, due to the head injury from hitting the wall. Calvin said he doesn't remember anything except falling backward and waking up in the hospital. The EMTs couldn't get Calvin to calm down enough for them to put an i.v. in and he was thrashing all around, literally throwing men off. Scott said he looked and sounded like the Hulk. They had four grown men holding him down and sitting on him just so that they could strap him to the gurney to transport him to the hospital. Calvin said he was bummed he couldn't remember riding in the ambulance. I was in Tuscon making a run for the mortuary. Scott actually was supposed to go and I was just going to go along for the ride, but Scott's boss had a feeling that he needed to have Scott stay behind and have me just go instead. I was a mess that day because there was nothing I could do and I was so far away. I am glad that Scott was able to stay behind and be there for Calvin. Alec felt horrible and was so afraid, but I think after Calvin came home, his fears and guilt here gone. It really was an accident. Calvin felt "fine" and was frustrated that the doctor told him to not watch any tv, use the computer or pretty much do anything. He needed his brain to rest and can I tell you how hard that was to get him to do nothing?!? Usually I'm telling him to get stuff done, but this time I'm having to tell him to do nothing! That was weird for both of us. Wednesday, I needed to do another run for the mortuary, and was gone all day. I left Calvin home and he didn't eat very well and he watched tv and probably did more than his body was ready for because later that evening, he threw up again and went to bed early...he was not doing well. I decided that on Thursday, anything I needed to do was to be cancelled so that I could make sure Calvin did nothing... I had to force food down him (that's when you know he's not feeling well!). By that evening, he was doing a lot better and decided to try a class on Friday. He went to that and since he was doing so much better, I let him hang out with a friend. He seems back to normal and the bump is almost gone. It was really scary that he had a seizure from hitting his head. He was out for 3 hours. I cannot imagine parents that have kids that go into comas or have seizures forever (I know a couple of those). I have a new respect of having to watch over your child and not much you can do. I am so grateful that Scott stayed and that Calvin was only in the hospital for a short stay. We already got the ambulance bill and all I could do is just put it aside because I don't know how this is going to work out. I almost can't think about it because I start going crazy. It's hard because we are trying to figure out how to feed the kids and such and then this happens. I guess it will work out...it always does.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment