Well, I don't have pictures because I don't have a camera anymore...waiting for Derrek to send back the one he doesn't like (he's got two right now!). The things we do for our kids! Anyway...we have had an interesting week and thought I'd share :)
First of all, my Grandma Gilgen (92) was admitted into the hospital with pneumonia and it was looking like she was not coming out of there alive. We were all preparing to be at her funeral the next weekend. My brothers and sister (Rod, Geoff, and Julianne) were able to go say "good-bye" to her and had a great experience in the sense that she had been completely unresponsive the whole week and for the 1/2 hour they were there, she was awake and lucid and talking about important things in this life. Here are some of Geoff's words from the experience:
She bore testimony of the plan of salvation, the fact that we all have gifts and should use them unselfishly. She told us to not worry about "being a shining star" because we all have gifts and make a difference. She also said that she "used to believe that if someone didn't serve in a bishopric they hadn't 'made it'". But she said she now realizes that everyone is precious and has and doing their part (I hope those of you who were there can fill in the rest of this - it was pretty profound what she was saying). She talked about living a life of sacrifice, about how she and Grandpa wished they had taken better advantage of opportunities that were in front of them (although she wasn't specific about what those opportunities were). She held Jody's hand and talked about the importance of bringing emotions into the world. Her counsel and insight were so heavenly at times that we all looked at each other with amazement. Two specific quotes that I wrote down were: "It isn't easy to live, but it is easy to love the Lord." And, she also talked quite extensively about how Grandpa has been given special permission to bless this family from the other side. She specifically said, "Grandpa has kept his arm around this family"
I am so glad they got to have that experience. I was sad I couldn't be there, too, but I realized that for the most part of my life, my experience with my grandma has been just what they experienced that night. I felt so blessed and was so sad that it was her time to go...
But, it isn't her time to go! Monday after this (I think this was on Saturday), my grandma was sitting up and responsive and feeling better. So, she is now back home at the Beehive Home and as far as I know, she is not as lucid, but she is alive and comfortable. Just another testament that when it is your time to go...it will be your time to go. Not a second more or less.
Then this last week I had a job interview. It seemed to come out of nowhere and I knew it was a door I needed to pursue. So, I went and the interview went well. It was for State Farm Insurance and I would have to get licensed and I would be helping people with their insurance needs (sort of like a broker, but not selling). Anyway, it went really well. I went home that night and I was so excited because it was full-time work and I would be making at least $1,600 extra a month for our family and it seemed I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Also that day, Ashton was really struggling with life and was just down. He was feeling picked on and he "hated his life". As usual, I didn't pay much attention because this is normal for this age and usually a good night's rest is all that is needed. I went to bed that night thinking about the job and what I would be doing and stressing over whether or not I could pass the tests and just basically the normal jitters of getting a new job. I hadn't gotten it yet, but I knew that I probably would. As I was falling asleep and thinking about the job, a scenario passed through my head. It was Ashton having a bad day like he had today, but I wasn't home...I hadn't been home and it was Summer. Ashton was thinking about killing himself and I wasn't there. I woke up instantly and realized that if I were accepted this job, I had to be forward with the guy and tell him that I can only work part-time during the Summer (2 1/2 months) and the rest of the year I could be full-time without a problem. I had made a promise with the Lord a long time ago, after I had Calvin and had moved to Provo and we were pretty much where we are now. I promised that I would stay home and do all I can as a mother if He would provide for our needs. You see, I love to work and motherhood is not easy at all and when I worked for Sunwest, I used to joke that sometimes I go to work to relax and take a break from being a mother! Anyway, the Lord has always helped us (especially through others) and this time is no different. So, I got a call back a few days later to come in. It sounded like he was deciding between a couple people and I was one of them. We chit-chatted and then I said, "I have to be honest about something I didn't think about before. I can only work part-time during the Summer because my kids are home." I said, "it would be 2 1/2 months and then the rest of the time I can be full-time". We talked some more and he talked about my references and he had called Scott's boss, Jason, about me because he knows Jason really well and I put Jason down as a reference because I have been working (driving) for the mortuary and he has a sense of my work ethics. He said that Jason was just gushing over Scott and me. He couldn't stop saying good things about us. Then he said, "Jason said that he doesn't know what it is, but ever since you guys started working for him, his business has increased and wherever we go blessings seem to follow". At that moment it felt like someone threw a blanket over me. I realized that we are continually blessed and it was nice that someone reminded me of that...especially because then the next words out of his mouth were, "I can't hire you. I need someone full-time". I was grateful that I had that experience because it helped me stay strong and not crumble from not getting this job. I don't understand the why's. But, I was reminded that the Lord is fully aware of me and my family and I am so grateful for that knowledge. A few days later we received a little reprieve from someone the Lord works through on our behalf (thank you!).
Alec started his mission papers! He kept saying he was going to do it, but we want them to do it on their own. So, Tuesday night he comes home dressed in his church clothes (I didn't even know he was gone!). I asked, "where were you?!?". He said, "I had an appointment with the Bishop". I said, "is everything ok?!?" He said, "yah, I started my mission papers". I love seeing the boys change once they decide this is what they want to do. They seem to grow up so much faster and all of a sudden their younger brothers annoy them! So, we'll let you know how that goes!
One last thing I have to share, just because I think it's funny. We decided to do the "12 days of Christmas" to a family in our ward. The problem is that this family has a driveway that is 3 miles long and they can see anyone coming from miles around. But, someone told the boys and Scott that it can't be done. People have tried, but everyone gets caught the first day...well...we are on day 4 and haven't gotten caught. It has been CRAZY. The first night, Dallen and Alec go and they are driving in the car up their driveway with all the lights off. They can't see anything and let me tell you, when there is no light out here, there is no light! When the full moon is out, it seems like daytime compared to without! Anyway, half way up they realize they aren't going to be able to go any further because the brake lights and lights in the car were shining. So, Dallen gets out and takes the treat up to the house, but gets spooked and puts it in the middle of their road right by their house! So, the next day, their daughter, Abbey, asks Alec about it and let me just tell you that it is scary how good of a liar Alec is! He played dumb and said "what's the 12 days of Christmas"? And then he went on to say "you guys do weird things out here in the country". He went on and on like that. He was telling us the story and I was just in awe that he could do it all with a straight face and not give anything away! So, the next night, Scott's boss, Jason, let us borrow his golf cart because there is a back road to the Larson's house that we could use. So, Alec and Dallen go off again, with Bryce (Jason's son). They made it all the way to the door step this time. Alec managed to rip his jeans, break his watch, and fall off a 3 ft. cliff on the way back! But, they made it. Then last night was the ward Christmas party. So, during the party, we had Calvin and Ashton sneak off and go deliver it because the Larsons would notice if Alec was gone and they suspect him anyway. It had been raining/snowing all day and so I was a little worried about Calvin doing it because the Larson's road is pure mud and not easy to get through and I wasn't sure our car could make it. I sure didn't want them to get stuck either! So, Scott gets a call from Calvin and Calvin had been driving in the dark because he didn't know if Katie was home (she wasn't at the party) and all of a sudden, there was their fence. He slammed on the brakes and bent it and made a nice dent in our bumper. He was freaking out. So, he left the goodie on the fence post and was able to make it back out. Scott got the dent out of our bumper because we didn't want them to come looking at our car and know it was us, but Alec was freaking out because they say we are the only family that drives crazy up to their house because we drive too fast. Then today, we enlisted the Bishop's help. He had his secretary make an appointment with them and brought them in. Donna was sure she was getting released and she was trying to think of every excuse to tell the Bishop she can't be released (she loves her calling in nursery). Then he gives them the treat. I almost feel bad for them right now! First we dent their fence and now she's all worked up that she's losing her calling! Hopefully they will feel more loved after this, that someone would go to such trouble, instead of wishing we were dead! We'll let you know how this week goes. We have it all planned and more than enough people that are willing to help :). This has been great, though, for our family to bond and if anything, it will be a great memory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That is the funniest family experience ever! Hasnt the ward realized you never, ever tell a Bowler it can't be done:) Can't wait to hear the end. Brings back so many memories of Christmas past. And Alec - so happy he has the desire to serve. Love that boy. Wish we could hug you..just know how much we love you!
you guys are awesome! can't wait to hear the rest of the story ... bummer about the job, but glad that you were able to come out of the experience with a positive attitude. I don't know that I would have ... that would have been a tough one for me. Love you guys!
Post a Comment