| Scott, Alec, Calvin, Ashton, Donna (mom), Justin (dad), Nick, Abbey, Katie, Shelby, Dallen, and Gannon |
Here are a few pictures of the boys on Christmas day. It is just weird when they get older. I was already emotional because I know how poor we are this year and I worked SO hard to try and get them something that they could use and that they needed. I just wanted them to appreciate how hard I did try, but now I know that is ridiculous thinking! Lesson learned!!! So, basically it was a pair of pants and shirt and Dallen and Ashton got shoes. I know they were grateful, but disappointed as well. Alec was happy, and that helped. Ashton was too. Dallen was, but his stuff didn't fit and so I felt bad about that, and then Calvin was glad he got what he got until he called his friend...who got a car plus new stereo system and all that. The sisters in the family got computers, ipods, and other electronics. Even if we had money, we still wouldn't get them all that. Anyway, it was also weird because usually people get stuff they can "play" with (electronics, games, etc.) and there was none of that this year, which is totally fine, but just a noticeable difference. Debs did get us a game we love "Bananagram" (I think that's what it's called). It came the next day and we have been playing it a lot. Anyway, the day was spent watching a couple movies, napping, eating, and hanging out as a family. Calvin hung out with his friend, and so he wasn't there for some of it and then all the boys went to play basketball with the missionaries and the Scott's (Calvin's friend's family...they are in our ward).
Then, Alec wanted to go down to Phoenix REALLY bad and was willing to pay the gas money for the trip, and so he got Aunt Heidi on board and she helped him accomplish this. Calvin and Dallen had both planned other things with friends and they didn't want to or couldn't reschedule, so Alec, Ashton and I headed to Phoenix for a couple days. It was a lot of fun. They went and ate at Panda Express...a must, if Alec is in the group! Then they went and saw "The Hobbit", had some Gelato, and just had a fun time. Dallen was supposed to go fishing with his friend, but the lake had frozen over in the few days they had been planning it. Calvin was going to go snowboarding, but that fell through, too...But, I am glad they were here to keep Scott company, at least. Part of the deal for us going down there was for them (Heidi and kids) to come up to our neck of the woods...so they did. It was really fun, and Alec went ALL out planning activities for when they came. He planned a trip to go sledding, he worked things out to go horse-back riding, and also to shoot guns. It was fun just hanging out and playing with all our critters and watching movies during down times. Here are some pictures from those three days...
The sledding place was seriously incredible. It was up in Pinetop just north of the Reservation. I'm not a huge fan of the snow or sledding and all that, but this place was impressive and fun. But, once the sun went down...BRRRR! It was like 23F and dropping fast. We were so cold, so we went home and had Chili...nothing better :). Alec asked Abbey Larson to help with the horses, so she was SO kind and borrowed two from her aunt and then asked her friend, Brittney Brubaker (Scott's boss's daughter) to help her with all of them. Abbey is great with horses and has mastered the skills to train them to be able to ride. She took one out that she has only been on for a week! She's really amazing and she's just barely 16. Calvin's horse seemed to have mind of it's own and didn't want to walk with the others and he ended up on the ground once because of it. He was sore the next day, but he was okay. Abbey acted like it was her fault and felt so bad. Alec, the kind person that he is, told her to knock it off! Anyway, they had fun. Anyway, it was a fun time.
This week was the first week back to school and there was some adjusting, but it is all good, now. I ended up being able to help out the mortuary Wed, Thurs., and Fri/Sat with driving and all that goes on there. So, I feel like I haven't been home at all, but was VERY grateful that we could earn the extra money. Scott did his first Pre-need, and it will be nice when he can do more.
Scott's boss bought us an elliptical and that was totally unexpected! Scott was looking for something for me for Christmas and asked Jason if he wanted to "sell" us theirs and we would pay them back later when we got our tax return, and so Jason was on the hunt. Anyway, while I was in Phoenix, visiting Heidi, Scott called and said that "Play-it-Again Sports" was having a huge sale on equipment and for me to go check it out and he said that Jason wanted to give us $300 toward something. So, we found something and we paid $150 more and got something we are happy with. It was overly nice of him to do that, and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the "why?!?" he would do it, but we are very grateful. Calvin told me that he is wanting to work on getting in shape so he can play football next year. So, he has been working out every day on it and eating healthier and I hope he achieves his goal. I would love to go watch some sports.
Derrek is doing good (go check out his latest letter!) and has a new companion and sounds like a better fit, for the most part. Hopefully Derrek can learn to relax a little and this companion can learn to work a little :). We'll see how it goes. We pray for him all the time. Speaking of missionaries, Alec continues to work on his papers and went and saw the doctor all on his own. I didn't even know he was taking antibiotics for his toe, until I had to go with him to get his toenail removed on Friday! I guess he IS 18 and if he's willing to do it all on his own, then I have done my job. It was just a weird realization that the time is here with Alec! Hopefully his toe will give him no more problems. We just have to do the dentist this week and then he will be sending his papers in. In the meantime Calvin has decided that he doesn't want to go to church anymore. That's been hard for me because I keep thinking "did I teach him enough?, did I do enough?" and to not beat myself up for my child not wanting God in his life. I know that if we push him, it would be worse. He's to the age where it is his decision to make. It made me realize how our Heavenly Father is with us. How hard it must be for him to watch us in all the decisions we make, good and bad. But, I know that His example, of free-agency, is better than that of controlling and demanding...especially if that child is related to me :). So, I just have to leave it to Heavenly Father and know that Calvin's path in this life is truly his path and that no matter what, he is loved, but it wouldn't hurt to keep him in your prayers :).
We are doing good...haven't had any sickness...yet! We have been blessed in many ways and know we have been. Hope everyone else had a great holiday season, too...

No comments:
Post a Comment