Ashton got to go to Especially For Youth in Flagstaff with his cousin, Zac Wilson.
| The guys of the group |
| Ashton's Cousin, Zac, Teddy, and Ashton |
| This was their group they did everything with all week |
Ashton stayed another week with his cousin, Zac, and we exchanged for Jeremy to come here and be with Dallen. He and Dallen got to ride horses a couple times because Dallen does riding lessons, and caretaking lessons every week and Sister Sharp was so nice to accommodate Jeremy being here. She is very stern as to people riding because she respects that the horses are big and have attitudes and she will kick someone off for not obeying her, but she said Dallen and Jeremy were fun to ride with and obey and respect everything she says. They also got to go to Clear Creek and cliff jump. I think it's Alec's new favorite place to go, but it's an hour away and so we don't get to go very often. It was fun having Jeremy here.
Dallen is taking riding lessons and horse care-taking lessons on the horse he is buying. Now we just have to figure out how to afford fencing!
Calvin has been working by detailing cars. He's very good at it. He also got a first interview with Panda Express. We are praying he gets that job...YUM!
We went and got some of Alec's Mission stuff. We have his suits and boy, does he look handsome! We realized today that next Fast-Sunday, he will be in the MTC!
4th of July fun: Soap-box racing, movie, rodeo and fireworks! What more could you want?!?
Here are pictures of them racing. Dallen and Ashton are the only ones that can fit in them, but watching is just as fun. Basically you take them to the top of a hill and they race down, hoping to not crash and burn. They loved it.
We went and saw "Lone Ranger". It was pretty good, but I felt that I was a little more self-aware that we were also watching it with a whole bunch of Native Americans and wondered what their take on it was. There was one part where the Calvary came and slaughtered the rest of the Comanche tribe. Reality that I hate seeing and wondered how the Apaches or the Navajo families that were there with us felt about that scene.
The Rodeo was great, as always. I think the highlight of the night for me and Scott was probably our friend Cody Hancock. I still think it's funny that we are even friends with them because I have a little star-struck-itis when I think about it, but last time we went out to eat with them, he had been arrested the week before for stealing fencing (t-posts) and it ended up being false accusations and Cody was able to prove his innocence, but that night at dinner he said "maybe I should name one of my bulls "t-post"". We laughed about it. Then sure enough, last night, he brought half the bulls for riding and three of the names were "T-Post", "Jailbird" and "Robbin & Stealin". I thought Scott and I were going to die laughing. We instantly texted him and thanked him for making our night. I am glad he can make light out of something that was horrible.
Alec was able to go through the temple a few weeks ago. It's hard because you can prepare them as much as possible, but because it is sacred, they just are going to have to experience it for themselves without much information. But, we have tried to teach that it's the Spirit you are going for and the rest you will, in time, learn about. He said it was "different", but didn't hesitate to go again. He went a second time by himself with a girl from our ward that just left this week to serve in Ecuador. She is so cute. Anyway, they had fun and I love that he did that. He's ready to go. It's amazing to watch. I was teary-eyed today as he was pestering his brother during Sacrament Mtg and realizing that in a few more weeks, this won't happen and that it was time for him to go and learn. I thought I'd never say this, but I'm going to miss that kid, too! Derrek was hard and I am finding I am just as sentimental about Alec! This is going to be a long month!!!
The kid's car died. We are down to one car and that is harder than I thought it would be. The boys are very good about it and respectful of my needing my car to stay running and the gas that I pay. Calvin is freaking out already, though, about "what if I get this job at Panda?!? I'm going to have to turn it down because I have no way of getting there!". I told him that he has no faith in those around him or God and that he can't control everything and needs help from others. I told him to work on getting the job. If he gets the job, then I know between me and the Lord, we will find a way to get him to work. I hope he gets it. It will be a great learning experience for him.
We are doing good and are healthy. Derrek is more and more happy and I know it is because he is trusting the Lord and serving. It is so fun watching them grow. I truly know I have done my part, and it is fun to watch the Lord continue their journey with people they interact with and learning from. My job as teacher is almost done...it's more guidance counselor :).




No comments:
Post a Comment