This past week and a half has been a whirlwind and I seriously didn't see how I was going to get through it, but like everything...it comes and goes and we get through it :).
We had a wonderful "Adult Getaway" with Scott and his brothers/sisters and their spouses. We were only missing one out of 19, so I think that is amazing!
 |
| A picture of the inside of the Cabin in Show Low, AZ...plenty of room! |
 |
| We had 3 birthdays during the week and celebrated on Jeff's Birthday |
 |
| Amy (on the 22nd), Kent (on the 24th), and Jeff (on the 26th) |
 |
| Siblings and their spouses (minus Rachel, who wasn't able to come) |
 |
| Scott and his brothers and sisters. So exciting that they were ALL able to be there! |
While at the cabin, we had 3 or 4 out with back problems. We are getting old :) Kent got everyone (or at least those willing) to do back stretching exercises. We ate healthier than I normally do and it was nice to have others cook :). Laura and Mike did amazing at planning and it was a really fun week with them. While they were here, we went to the Taylor Rodeo for Pioneer Day. An hour before the Rodeo, it was seriously like a hurricane at our house. The rain and wind was SCARY! We thought for sure they would cancel the rodeo, but we were told it has never been cancelled, maybe delayed, but never cancelled. Well, Alec was going to be doing the calf dressing (Scott's back was out, and he ended up not even going to watch because he couldn't sit on the bleachers!), and so we had Calvin drive into town to see how the rodeo grounds were looking. He said it was totally fine over there. Well, as we got there, it started to sprinkle and then we could see another storm coming...lightening included! But none of the locals were moving, so I thought "they are either stupid or they know something I don't know". The announcer did mention a couple of times for those on the top of the bleachers to come down further so that they wouldn't be struck by lightening! WHAT?!? Here is a picture of Dallen and Jeremy and Sam. We were all under umbrellas and the Rodeo did go on! About half way through, it stopped raining, but the mud was incredible, and lets just say that if a cowboy was stepped on by a bull or horse, he would have been fine because he would have sunk so far into the mud that it wouldn't have hurt him! Needless to say, we were told it has never rained like that before and there were people in our ward that had flooding issues and our roof even leaked because the rain was so much. It was probably a swimming pool on top of the roof at our house! In June people were fined for even smoking outside because it was so dry, and then everyone prayed for rain, and it hasn't stopped! Every day there is tons of rain in Taylor. It's crazy. Here are pictures and a video from that night. We were half way up the stands and then the lightening got too close and electrocuted a couple of the umbrellas being held, and so we went further down for the rest of the evening...just in case :) Can you see how hard it was raining?!?
.JPG) |
| Dallen, Jeremy and Sam trying to stay dry (they wore their swimsuits just in case) |
.JPG) |
| Alec, Wendy, Emily, and Calvin |
.JPG) |
| The Bowler gang after the rain had stopped. Look at the muddy arena! |
IMG 0447 from
Amy Bowler on
Vimeo.
Heidi's kids and Kent and Amy's kids and Megan, Kathie and Paul's oldest, were able to come with us because they wanted to come for Alec's farewell the next day.
So, the Adult Getaway was still going on, and we had Alec's farewell that Sunday. It was kinda planned that way, but not really. I was happy that there was a lot of support from family (whether they wanted to or not because of the getaway). Alec did really well on his talk and we know he will be learning so much more about himself and his relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. We had a taco bar and I had made some sugar cookies with ties on them for dessert.
 |
| Having a little luncheon after Alec's farewell at Church |
 |
| I liked this picture because it showed Alec :) |
 |
| Brad, Mike, and Dan. We love seeing our family! |
 |
| Took a moment to give him a squeeze :) |
 |
| More pictures of us together. |
 |
| even the dogs were happy! |
 |
| We are sure going to miss him!!! |
After the luncheon, Scott and I went back up to the cabin for the getaway to hang out with everyone for one last evening. It really was fun and I am grateful it was SO close to home so that we could come in the midst of the chaos that goes along with getting your child ready for his mission.
The next day, Monday, we made sure we had everything Alec needed and he was set apart that night by the Bishop and Stake President. Tuesday he packed up. All he had was either in a tote or his suit cases. We went down to Phoenix Tuesday night and got up early Wednesday morning and headed to the airport. Heidi and her family came with us. There were at least 15 other missionaries going to the MTC on his flight and he was instantly making friends. My sister, Jenette, picked him up from the airport with her family
.jpg) |
| Alec and Jenette at SLC airport |
.jpg) |
| Craig and Alec (spoiling Alec with Cafe Rio!) |
.jpg) |
| Alec and Hannah...he was just sure she wouldn't like him :) |
Jenette and Craig took him down to the MTC and Jenette said that when they pulled up, Alec said "what have I gotten myself into?!?". They literally dropped him off and left (they cut the apron strings at the MTC, that is for sure!). We haven't heard from him, yet, but I am sure he is doing fine and hopefully we will hear from him either today or on Tuesday (I can't remember). We got back home and Shep knew something wasn't right. He, somehow, knew that Alec was not coming back. These are pictures Calvin took...
.JPG) |
| Shep laying on Alec's bed and blanket. Calvin said he was whimpering! So sad! |
.JPG) |
Then he started looking out the window and whimpering some more. It was so pitiful! He really misses Alec!
Shep is doing a little better now, but now much. He cries, now, when we come home. He can't control himself...it's almost as if he thinks we are all leaving for good!
We have rearranged the boys' rooms, now, and our house is more quiet and there is still milk in the fridge. I had a breakdown at the grocery store yesterday, when I realized I wouldn't be buying "Dill Pickle" chips this year for school or at all because Alec was gone. It was something I knew he loved and I would make sure I had it for him at home. I literally had tears coming down in the grocery store! Sad, I know. I miss the blender not being in the sink every morning because Alec just had to have Orange Julius the night before. He was a big presence in our home and we definitely know he is gone. He will be missed, but like he said, it is time for him to move on. He has learned and progressed as much as he could at home. It was time for him to learn more somewhere else. I like his choice of learning :).
One last thing...
CALVIN GOT A JOB!!!!!
He will be working at the little restaurant in town called "Celebrations" and he will be washing dishes for them. He has been working on getting a job there for over a year now, and finally, because the girl that used to do it went onto college, he was able to get the job, with help of friends in our ward who know Calvin and can promise he'll do a good job. I am excited for him and he will be working with some amazing and super fun people. It is relaxed, but they expect the work to be done. He doesn't have a set schedule, and just clocks in when he can, does the dishes and clocks out. Luckily, it is one thing I did teach him at home :) He is ready to do this job. He officially starts on Wednesday, which is also the first day of school! The restaurant is less than a 1/2 mile from the high school and so it is perfect, considering the kids' car is gone.
I can't believe school is starting. Calvin will be a Senior, Ashton in 10th and Dallen in 8th. Ashton is starting to learn to drive and if I get my act together, he will be getting his permit soon.
|
We have had a good summer, lots of changes, and more to come. We have been blessed and have really loved seeing so much family in the past 3 weeks. They are really what it's all about :)
1 comment:
Congrats Calvin! That's awesome!
Post a Comment