I have realized in the last couple months that my time management is WAY out of whack. Since the last post, there have been changes! First, ALL the kittens that were born, died. How sad is that? The longest one of them lived was 2 weeks. The mama cats had a cold and the babies caught it and then they died. It was really sad. But, never fear...we missed the window of opportunity to have them spayed, and they are both about to give birth again. Being the first time cat owner, I didn't know when I could have them fixed because on all the websites I looked at, they said wait until the mother has nursed 6 weeks, but I guess I could have done it after all the kittens had died! Anyway, lessons learned and we are a little excited to try it again. My friend that has raised cats for 40 years gave me tips and so we'll see if it goes better this time.
 |
| I went horse-back riding for the first time in 12 years! |
I was able to get two new jobs. I have been working at one for about 5-6 weeks and the other for about 3 weeks. I REALLY love my new jobs. One is for the local restaurant, Celebrations, that Calvin did the dishes for this past year. I really feels like I am just at a Relief Society function, working in the kitchen and prepping food and serving for an activity or something. I work Fridays and Saturdays there, either in the morning shift or the evening shift. I really love to cook and I have already learned some great recipes! Of course, I can't give them away, but they are GOOD! The other job came because the mother of the owner of Celebrations needed someone that had done books before, and my first day at Celebrations, she kept bugging Julie (the owner) for my number so that she could steal me. She didn't even know me! She called a couple weeks later and Julie is awesome because I didn't want to let her down and I really like working there, so I am able to do the bookkeeping job Monday through Thursdays and then on Friday and Saturday I am working at Celebrations. I am learning a new program called Infinite Visions and I appreciate that it is a very thorough program and can understand why government agencies and especially schools use it. It is not as pretty or user friendly as Quickbooks, but I am growing to appreciate it. We work with all the Grant and Charter schools on the reservations here in the State of AZ. It brings me back to the days of working at the Multi-cultural Financial Aid office at BYU where I processed and helped collect funds for all the American Indian students there and I feel I am right back there. That was probably my best job ever and this one is becoming one of my favorites, also. I am doing payroll and accounts payable and Jim, who has been doing payroll, is really a good teacher. I really have appreciated his patience and his ability to let go of it and allow me to learn. He probably has more trust in me than I do in myself, but it helps me to think, "well, if he thinks I can do it, then I probably can!". Anyway, it is a family business. Rita is the owner, and her two daughters and son-in-law (Jim) and one other guy work for her. Anyway, they are all really nice and supportive and it is nice to feel competent again. I appreciate my old job teaching me about payroll and Arizona taxes, as I didn't know much about that before. I wasn't going to take the job at Celebrations because I knew the ladies that worked there and I didn't want to ruin anything with that, but felt strongly that I should. Then I was glad because I liked it and then I got another job because of that job! I can see that by taking this job and learning this program it is setting me up for the ability to work for schools and is a great asset for me. I am really grateful for the opportunity and can't believe it is real.
But, this all leads me to time management! I have not been able to get done the things that I feel are more important than these jobs and that is visiting teaching and temple attendance and focusing more on my calling and helping others. These things are the things that truly make me happy. So, this next week, that is my new focus. I am going to figure out my time and make sure those things are at the top of the list and not the bottom.
 |
| Ashton getting his driver's license! |
School gets out this week and the kids are ready. I can't believe Dallen will be a Freshman and Ashton a Junior! Calvin is graduating and wants to move out. He pretty much doesn't live here anyway. He is planning on moving to an apartment here in town with his friends and going to Northern Pioneer College here until he figures out what he would like to do. He's been toying with the Army idea, but it doesn't seem to stick, so who knows. He is really an amazing artist and I hope he is able to find somewhere he can use that talent. He is truly gifted. Ashton is looking for a job and gets to go to EFY this year. Every week he has made plans to go "bug" someone about a job. It's not necessarily every day, but the fact that he sets weekly goals and follows through is such a great life skill! Ashton recently got his driver's license and loves running errands for me. It's nice to be able to have someone take Dallen where he needs to go or run into town to get groceries for me. I will miss the days when they are all gone :) Dallen has a summer job with a guy in our ward and goes and helps lay sprinklers and does yard work. Dallen has always like doing that kind of stuff. He worked for him last summer and that's how he was able to buy his horse this last year. He was pro-active, also, and called the guy and asked if he needed help this summer.
Scott finishes his internship in June. I can't believe we are done and he will be able to do this anywhere. Jason really wants to make sure we stick around and so he and Scott have been talking about Scott running a second funeral home for him and then he would get experience being a manager and then he would be able to have that on his resume, also. I told Scott we aren't moving for at least 4 years (until Dallen is gone), but the fact that Jason wants to make sure he does stay, he is making it very difficult for us to want to ever leave!
.JPG) |
| Autumn |
.JPG) |
| Charity |
Other things that have happened in the last few months...Scott's sister, Jennie, had her baby and named her Autumn. She is really cute and sweet. A few days after that, we were able to be there with Wes as he was confirmed into the Catholic church. It was very important to him and we are glad we were able to support him in his decision and be there. It was important for us to be there. We got to spend Easter with Scott's family and that was fun. Charity, Heidi's daughter, is leaving for her mission to Tacoma Washington in July. We are so excited for her. We will miss her tons, but it will fly by. We can't believe that Derrek is coming home (also my Parents!) and Alec has been out for almost a year!
.JPG) |
| Grant |
My sister, Jenette had her baby, Grant, and she is going well. I am sad I wasn't able to go help her, but I kept feeling like I needed to tell her I couldn't and didn't know why. Then I got the new job and it started the week she had him. I then knew why I needed to stay. I didn't even go to Women's Conference this year which was a big deal, but the whole time I felt at peace and knew this year was not a year I could or needed to go. We can't wait to meet him!
 |
| Henry |
Another nephew we haven't met is Henry. Kent and Amy had their baby in March and we are so happy for them. Chris (their oldest son) is getting ready to have his baby (well, wife Christina is) in June. Can't wait to see their baby. Anyway, here is a picture of Henry...love all these babies!
So, as you can see, things are going good for now here in Taylor. We are healthy and feel very blessed and can't believe we are where we are after the last three years of struggling. We are grateful to all the family and friends that have helped and for the lessons we have learned. We have become better people because of it and although I never want to go through that again, I am grateful that it happened.
No comments:
Post a Comment