Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Quiet Week...

All I can say is that the kids are BORED! We shut off the t. v. during the day because...well...there isn't anything on! It's funny, I can find plenty to do. They think that we have to go somewhere to have fun or be entertained. Where is the imagination? So...I decided yesterday that we would do all these little projects that I have been meaning to work on, but can never find the time. Alec is the one who is the most bored (and then trouble follows!). So, I taught him how to fill all the holes in his walls with the spackle. Our playroom looks like it had the measles and now has calamine lotion all over it!

This picture is of a quarter-pipe that Alec pretty much built. This was during the Fourth of July. His brothers helped (and cousins, Charity and Emily), but Alec was the mastermind behind the designing and supplying the materials. For his next project, he wants to build a dog house! Shep would probably like that.

I think this next week I will show him how to paint! I don't know if this would help lessen his distruction ratio around the house. This could backfire on me and he would want to create holes just so that he could repair them! But...painting could keep him entertained for hours! We'll see how this goes. If you have any other ideas on keeping the kids going until school starts (only two more weeks), let me know. Have a great week!

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I remember being bored as a kid, but I'm never bored now, I can always find something to do!

I liked your pancake story, I can't imagine how much food you go through. Spencer isn't a big eater, but our two nephews can pack it away, they are 4 and 6, and it blows my mind how much they eat, more than my 8 year old girl! And they are skinny too!

You're pretty smart to channel your kids into doing home improvement projects. I wish I had some big kids to work on my house!

Sheila

Laura said...

Alec with spackle in his hand does sound like a dangerous combination. ; ) That reminds me: the other day we went into the laundry room to find Audrey and Hayley covered in drywall mud!! I didn't even know it was in there, but they had torn apart the plastic and were giggling while they painted themselves (and Audrey was even eating it. eckt!)

Kathie said...

I love the pictures of you and Scott & the kids!! Don't take them off, it's so nice to see a picture of you guys! It's always inspiring to me to hear the things you entrust your kids in doing... it's a good example to me. Gotta let go and let the kids learn things. Not sure I'd let my kids paint yet though... not nearly old enough.