Sunday, September 6, 2009

We have a 16 yr-old!


Derrek FINALLY had his 16th birthday, yesterday. It has been an interesting week for him because we (me and my neighbor who is his YM leader) have been trying to help him get his Duty to God for the Teachers done. But, there were some big things on there that he hadn't done and we can't do them for him, and won't. If he isn't willing to put in the effort, then it doesn't benefit him at all. So, this week, he had to read from Alma to the end of the Book of Mormon for one of his requirements and then he also had to do a service project. We helped him map out how many pages he would have to read each night and then explained the benefits if he took on this challenge. He had mentioned that he felt that we would be mad at him if he didn't do this and then we explained again that we are only rooting for him to do this because one, it is a big challenge and when we get done with hard things we feel very accomplished, and two because we know how it can change his life. He just had to accomplish it all before he met with the bishop (of all people, his own father...and he isn't easy on him!). So, he is meeting with him right now and has proudly accomplished all he set out to do this week. I must say, it wasn't easy. Especially when he had to make the choice of going out with friends or reading the Book of Mormon. But, he did it and I know he feels what we knew he would feel.

For his birthday, he got to have it for two days! Friday, Grandpa took him and his friends out skiing. They were the only boat on the lake until about 10:00 am. It was just after a storm and so the water was glass and perfect for skiing. It was so perfect that Grandpa asked Derrek to pull him! Then we had pie and ice cream later that evening. We only had one candle and so we were going to light it 16 times and have him blow it out, but that got old fast and we said "that's good enough" around the 10th time. The next day (his actual birthday), he went up to Brianhead Ski resort to mountain bike with his friend and family. That was their gift to him. He had a lot of fun and said he got in four really good runs. Then he came back and headed out on his first group date. They went and saw GI Joe and went and had pizza. He was actually home by 11:00 pm, even though I told him he could be out until 12:00. We'll see how that goes once he can drive! He still can't get his license yet because the instructor has people before him that still have to drive with the instructor. But, it will come soon and then he will be happy.
As for the rest of us, it was a calm week. Just trying to figure out how to help keep grades up and staying on top of all that. I have decided I really hate 6th grade. Every child of mine has really struggled with 6th grade. We are now on to the 4th child. Only one more after him!!! We have also been trying to help the girl that has been living with us ready to go to boot camp tomorrow. It's time for her to move on, but we have learned many valuable lessons and our kids have been able to give more of themselves than they would normally have the chance to. It might have been a lot to ask of them, but we plan on bringing it all home for them in FHE tomorrow night. She leaves tomorrow around noon. I have heard people say that I am too nice, but I really feel that it is one of those gifts that I was given, because I know that not everyone could bring a stranger into their home. But, the Lord knows us and protects us while we help...for that I am sure. And knowing it is not forever, helps too. But, if I can be that event in that person's life to help them get back on track, then that is how I want to be used. I know it's not for everyone and we are probably crazy, but it is what it is.










This last week, during FHE, we had a fun time playing a game that Scott played when he was younger. The boys really loved it and there was flour everywhere. Thank goodness for vacuums!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word....what exactly is the game?! ;) That is awesome about Derrick....I had to do that same thing in order to go to Youth Conference one year. I feel for him! You guys are great and NOT crazy!!!!! ;)

Karla said...

Congrats Derrek!

That looks like a game I used to play too - try to get the coin out of the flour with your teeth?

Wilson Family said...

The flour pictures are PRICELESS! Brings back good memories. It is one of my kids favorite games for FHE, too.

Todd and Wendy said...

OH that is GOOD TIMES! Ooi the memories! YAY Derrek! We Love you Guys!!!!