Sunday, August 29, 2010

Eagle Scouts!



We finally had the boys' Eagle Court of Honor. Calvin has been waiting since May and Derrek and Alec officially got theirs back in June. I guess I never really thought about having three Eagle Scouts at once. I must say, though, it wasn't me who helped them get it. It was a grandpa and neighbor/scout leader who pushed them to make this a goal. Anyway, they are glad they made the accomplishment.

My sister, Jenette, helped me make these awesome cookies for the court of honor. They were of the Eagle Scout emblem. It was fun to do, and yummy! I told her she could start making a business with just these cookies because of all the mom's around here that would want her to do it (like me!). And, it's a lot less messy than cake!

I think my favorite part of the whole thing was when the boys were welcomed into the "Eagle's Nest" with all the other Eagle Scouts. In that group were leaders that they have or had, their old Bishop, Uncles, and cousin. Here is a picture of them being welcomed by those men...
We then went to my parent's house for a BBQ and swim party (upon Calvin's request). I appreciate everyone who came to celebrate that with us, and bringing the food. It was just nice to get together and have fun (and eating is always good, too!).
We had another Court of Honor this week and it was for the whole troop. Ashton received his First Class rank. Next he will be working on his Star rank. He was excited to get that.
We also let Derrek get a phone this week. He is so excited. He, of course, has to pay for it and when he doesn't, then he won't have a phone. He just found out today, though, that the McDonald's that he works at will be shutting down in October because they are tearing it down and building a new one. He's already freaking out about how he is going to keep his phone, but this is good for him...welcome to real life :).
Scott and Alec had a good birthday this week. Alec is 16 and Scott is now 39. We didn't have any money for presents, but I did have a gift card to TJMaxx and so Scott and I went shopping there (as his request), to buy some new pants that fit...(poor him hates that he has lost weight because now his clothes don't fit!). Alec didn't mind that he didn't have presents. I did get him a thing of gum and some swedish fish. Scott and I were able to give him something I thought he would like...a camping/fishing trip. We have a friend who was willing to come teach Alec how to fly-fish. As always, I can't get much out of Alec as to how it went, but I think he enjoyed it. All in all, it was a good birthday for both of them. All Alec wanted really was cheesecake and a party with family. So we went to my mom's to swim and eat cheesecake (and pie for Scott). I would put a picture up, but Rod was kind enough to use his camera and so I don't have the pictures back yet. Maybe next week...

2 comments:

gilgensteurer said...

Those boys are so dang handsome! And who's that really handsome 4th dude?! Tell Ashton to keep on going - his Eagle is just around the corner. So sad we missed the B-Day celebration:( That's life, huh? Hope you had fun here. By the way...did you take my Saturday paper that had the boys' eagle scout write up?!!! Love you all lots

Chrys said...

WOW, that is so impressive. I can't believe our boys are growing up so fast, before you know it we will be sending them all out of missions! Glad to see you are all doing great:O)