We seem to have a theme today of Gratitude. All our lessons at church were about gratitude, and I am pretty sure they weren't planned that way, it just happened. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving in Phoenix with Scott's family. This year we did something different, we ran a 5K race. It was hard! The head-wind we had almost felt at times that I was standing still! My goal was to not walk and I only stopped twice when the wind was too much to combat, but soon resumed running. Here is a picture of the group after the race. Scott's Cousin, Jim, and his wife, Tiffany were able to do the 1 mile "fun run" (we laugh at that name!). I ran it in 34 minutes and Scott ran it in 26 minutes. His brother, Jeff, was awesome and ran it in 20 minutes and was in the top 50. Christ wasn't too far behind and ran it in 21 minutes. Although it was hard, for me personally, I felt accomplished and was proud of myself for completely the little goal I had set for myself (to cross the finish line :). The people in the picture are (L to R, Back to Front) Paul, Chris (who just received his mission call to Russia!), Scott, Mike, Jeff, Heidi (who just had surgery two weeks ago!), Amy 2, Dan, Kent, Brad, Amy 1, and Emma.
I am grateful, though, that both Scott and I have our health and were able to participate. As I was half-way through, I looked around and realized that there were all these people of all shapes and sizes, and yet we were all there to start off Thanksgiving by running!
We then went home and finished preparing the food assignments for the day. We had amazing food, and Jennie and Wes especially went all out. Homemade everything! It was a calm day and we decided it was because we have no babies and the kids don't need their parents like they used to.
Scott's grandpa wasn't able to come because his diabetes was acting up, got shingles, and pneumonia, and was put in the hospital. Scott's aunts and uncle went up to be with him during this time. It is his 90th birthday coming soon and we were hoping to celebrate it with him, but we'll have to do it in spirit. He is at home and doing better.
We were able to hold on another year to the tradition of all the girls going shopping and meeting for breakfast. I really love being with all my sister-in-laws. I really enjoy all of them. We were able to get some good deals (worth waiting in a checkout line for 45 min.!), but it was more of just being together that made it fun.
I just want to express my graditude for all the little blessings Scott and I have received, especially lately. We are fully aware of the little daily things like heat for our house, cars that work (even though one looks horrible), our health, etc. We continually have our needs met and know that it can only come from the Lord. I am thankful for family and friends that rally around us when life hands us hard times. I learned today that a gratitude is a spiritual principle in the sense that when we are grateful, we are humble and when we are humble, the Lord is able to speak to us. What a blessing! Hope your Thanksgivings were just as wonderful!

No comments:
Post a Comment