As a follow up to the boys' grades...we took the Xbox away, as I said last week and Calvin was getting a new game on Tuesday. Well, I talked to his teacher on Monday. I was able to hear her side of the "cheating" story. She said that she doesn't know what he was doing, but it did look like he was cheating. He was flipping through the pages at the time she saw him. She said that there were others who were watching him and she felt that she was put in a position where she had to stick to her guns so that all rules were obeyed by all. She couldn't dismiss it because if another child did the same thing, she would have to dismiss him, too? So, anyway...we understood she was basically backed into a corner, and we understand what she had to do. Seriously, I could never be a teacher. So, she said that Calvin would still be able to make up his grade and gave him a plan to do so. I came home with that info and Calvin was missing 4 assignments (that still didn't count, but our rule is that if you handed in everything and did your best, we don't care what the grade is. If you're not handing in everything, then we can't help if you don't help yourself). Calvin had to do those assignments to get to play the Xbox and then each day we would see if they had their assignments done. Calvin got all four done Monday night (AMAZING!!!). He got to play the Xbox the next day with his new game...all is well with him :)
I talked with Alec's teacher on the down low...Alec doesn't know I talked to his teacher because I wanted to know if I needed to push Alec to go talk to his teacher or a counselor to transfer out of the class. His teacher was great and Alec ended up being brave and talking to his teacher. Alec came home and said "he's a great pep-talker". I thought that was funny. So, together, Alec and his teacher came up with a plan and Alec is amazingly understanding his homework and actually anxious to see how he does on this next test.
Dallen is still Dallen. Until he decides that he wants to do this for himself, then we are looking at low grades. I am really glad grades don't count during 6th and 7th grade!
Derrek had Sadies Dance yesterday, with a girl at his school. I think her name is Megan. I haven't been able to talk to him today. I was visiting teaching when he called :(.
I had a girl at church ask me today if Alec had been asked to the Winter Formal. I said "no" and then she later came up again and asked when she could come ask him to the dance. I'm excited that she wanted to go with him.
Calvin applied to MANY jobs this week and a kid at school, who works at the Wendy's by our house, told him that he got the job by going in and talking to the manager after he applied on-line. So, it was crazy on Friday...I had to get Dallen and Ashton off to scout campouts (it was crazy because they were both going to the same place, but with their individual leaders...one at 4 and the other at 4:30...in two different meeting places!). So, after the younger two were off to their campouts, I took Calvin over to Wendy's and it just so happened that the General Manager, who would be doing the hiring, was there and Calvin talked to him. He came out almost skipping. The good thing, too, is that Calvin just had his haircut the day before and so he looked presentable (in my mind). Calvin has been "waiting by the phone" and just wants this so bad. So, who knows...keep him in your prayers. He just really wants a job. Alec, too. He's been applying, but is still too shy to go talk to people. Scott might start doing the night calls and if he does, he is going to ask Bunker to see if they would hire Alec to do them with him. Scott asked Alec if he would do that with him and Alec said "so, I'd be picking up dead people...I'm not sure I'm okay with that". But, I think he would do fine. We'll see...it's still in the works, but I think it would be a great backdoor into the working society for Alec. He just isn't able to do it normally :).
Well, other than that, things are good. The last two weeks were really interesting, financially. Just when I thought I had learned all I could about dealing with finances, I learned another lesson, but it wasn't learned until there was only 29 cents in our account for 7 days! I don't say this for people to send us money...please...it has been a good experience. Scott and I had both realized that even though we have skinnied things down, that we weren't really thinking about money when we did get it. When we would get it, we would just spend it again. This last week, though, we were more aware of gas we used, drinks at the QT, necessities verses wants and realized that there were a lot of things that were wants. We found that we were willing to sacrifice things that we wanted to do (like me driving up to see Scott's sisters or Calvin and Alec wanting me to pick them up from school) so that we could make things last a little longer. I don't think we have ever really had to do that exercise to this extent. It was a great learning tool for us as well as the kids. They, too, have really learned the value of a dollar and I am grateful that we have been able to talk to them about the struggles, but that they see we keep going and that blessings do come.
I just was amazed that I could learn more. Anyway, it is all good and we are continually being blessed and our eyes opened to becoming better people. I love it (most days! There are days I kick and scream and don't want this trial...but after calming down, I see the blessings!).

No comments:
Post a Comment