Ashton is so funny...he told me Friday night, "Mom, I invited some friends over for my birthday party at 6:00 tomorrow night". I didn't even know we were having a birthday party! So, it was...we were having a little birthday party. So, he woke up around 9 and we ate french toast, his favorite. Then we did "Scouting for Food" can drive and went and collected cans from people. It was funny because Dallen was mad that the majority of the people didn't contribute. He just felt they should have. I just reminded him that when he gets something like this from a Scout later in life, that he, too, can then do his part and not miss out like these others had. I made Ashton come home and clean his room, though. Scott said, "it's his birthday, why are you making him do that?" and I said "because it's spilling out into the hallway, and I'm tired of looking at it". So, after that, Ashton had planned for Scott and I to take him to lunch (literally...he planned the day!), and then to go to Toys R Us to see if there was anything there he might want with his birthday money. So, that is what we did. He really loved our full attention. It was really nice to be able to give it to him. Then we came home and his friends came over. He had planned a little Xbox party with his friends and one other couldn't come and so he let Dallen play. We kind of kicked Alec and Calvin out and made them go see a movie (with their money of course!). Here is a slideshow of the day's events...
This week has been an interesting one for Calvin, in the sense of learning about how things go in life. I have particularly enjoyed it because I love moments when I can teach them about God and about turning to Him in times of need, and to not give up hope. Calvin has been really wanting a job. I mean REALLY wants one. So, he thinks of a place to apply and then gets up the nerve to go ask if they are hiring, and then has been shot down. It takes the wind out of his sails and he just feels like it is pointless and wants to give up. This is where the teaching moment gets to come in. There was a moment this week when Derrek was given a job opportunity and was debating whether or not he wanted to take it (it's still not for sure, but it sounded like it was at the time). Calvin was SO upset because he felt that it wasn't fair that Derrek gets something handed to him and then is deciding whether or not to take it (when he needs the job), and Calvin doesn't know anyone who can help him in the way my parents did for Derrek and just was feeling forgotten and frustrated. It was a great experience teaching Calvin about how the Lord works in our lives. I know Calvin has had experiences where he has been touched by Heavenly Father and knows that He is there. He just forgets :). So, that night, I was praying that I could be of help to Calvin in some way. I remembered a fruit stand that I like to go to and how there are always teen-age boys working there bringing in crates of fruits and veggies. So, I offered to take him down there, because I needed to go. So, we set out after school one day this week and on our way down I just started pulling over to various establishments and Calvin said it was weird because I would pull over and then he realized that he needed to get out and ask for an application. They were places that he hadn't thought of working at before. We were having fun with it. Anyway, from one of the places, the lady said "we aren't hiring, but Hi-Jolly is" and told us where that was. Anyway, we picked up about 5 applications. He filled them out and then the next day after school we went back and dropped them all off. One guy was impressed that he was an Eagle Scout. Calvin was shocked because he thought that no one cared anymore about boys getting their Eagle awards. Then the Hi-Jolly place, the lady said "I was just mentioning today that I wish I had some help". Calvin just smiled and I don't know if he said anything. But, he came away from all this very giddy and realized that it isn't hopeless and that something will come of all his effort. Doors will open and the Lord will provide a job for Calvin that will allow him to grow as well as be an example of Him. Calvin would be a great employee. Anyway, it was a great little teaching moment for me...I love those moments.
I had my first Girls' Camp meeting this week. I am over the 1st year YCL's...there are 44 of them! There are four of us leaders (thank Heaven!). We met only about 1/4 of the girls. It made me miss my "girls" in St. George that I love so much, but made me excited because I am sure I will love these girls in the same way. A few of them know Alec, and one is his "seminary buddy". He came home from school the other day and was freaking out. He said, "mom! they are going to try and get you to tell them stories about me". I just laughed. I have some good ones. I told him that I would be sure to run them by him before I told them. I have video on my phone of him dancing with the drill team in St. George. I asked if I could show them that...he said, "no way". We'll see! I know the girls would love it. Anyway, I am so excited to do Girls' Camp. I was thinking about why I get so excited and I realized that I am helping to raise the next generation of girls. Those who will marry my boys, those who will be serving in the Church, those who will be mothers and have their own paths to go down. It's exciting to me that I get to be a part of that.
Derrek had a Youth Conference this weekend at Bryce Canyon. He said it was good. That was all I could get out of him :). He said they got to go skiing, ice skating, and snow boarding. Things Derrek likes to do!
Well, we are all still doing good and healthy. I think Alec still misses St. George. I find out more on Facebook than I do at home because he won't talk to any of us, but he'd rather post it to the whole world! I don't understand that! Anyway, at least I can find out some way what things are going on with that boy!

1 comment:
Both Ashtons had a birthday recently!
Post a Comment