Sunday, January 29, 2012

President...

I had to document that Derrek was voted in as Seminary President for this semester at school. That means that he will be in charge of leading the opening exercises (or getting others to do it), and basically being the "voice" for the students and leading the students who attend Seminary at Snow Canyon High. I am sure there is more to it than that, or maybe not...I don't know. We didn't really have Seminary presidents when I was in Seminary. Derrek said that he has 3 church callings right now. He works with the Special Needs group every week (he is paired up with a boy that has down-syndrome and helps by being his "buddy" during youth activites), he is first assistant to the Bishop in the Young Men's in his ward and then Seminary President. Welcome to working in the church! I have two callings right now...Relief Society and Girls Camp. I love that we have opportunities to give of ourselves that we would normally not get to have. I love that it challenges me with interacting with different people and different "jobs" that I didn't think I could ever do. I am apprehensive, now, as I prepare for this week as I meet the 40 girls I will be working with at Girls Camp as 1st year YCL's (youth leaders). Yep...40! There are two other women with me (thank Heaven!) and I actually am just an assistant...I'm glad I'm not "in charge", but I'm more than willing to help :). It will be fun. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I love Girls' camp and the things I gained from it. I still have friends that I keep in contact with, whom I only saw and knew from Girls' camp. I see them every year at Women's Conference (we have lunch together one of the days).

Calvin attended an open house for the Tech school here. He has decided to attend and is leaning toward auto repair (I think I mentioned that last week). Scott went with him, and I am so grateful that he didn't have to work, because I think Calvin needed Scott to go more than me. We tried to get Alec to go, but he didn't want to, and then today he said "I should have gone". Maybe we'll make another trip over there for him. They have a lot of programs. Scott was able to talk to Calvin about career choices and things that would help provide for a family better than others and choices that he needs to think about. We also reminded him, that if he makes one choice and doesn't like it, that he hasn't done any damage and can change it a lot easier now than later.

I started my second class this week. I am taking Child Development. I figure I better know this or I'm in trouble. Hopefully it will be an easy class for me. I am really liking Statistics, so far. I get excited because I actually understand it. I like and understand organizing the data and how it tries to answer the questions. It's funny to me, though, because I will take a quiz, expecting to not do very well, but answering the questions as they make sense to me and I either miss one or two. I laugh because I guess it makes sense to me! Who knew?!? I am also proud of myself because I have been more disciplined and make myself "go to school".

Calvin has been out looking for a job. He tried the "Doughnut Peddler", but they are not hiring. It takes all the guts in the world for him to go out and ask and do, and then getting rejected takes him a couple days to re-coup and then he goes back out. Alec isn't quite there yet. I know he will be...he is just different.

Well, all in all...everything is the same. We are healthy and doing good.

No comments: