First of all, I needed to post this, because I think he is so handsome! Derrek just cut all his hair off! Whoot-woo is all I could say!
Here is a picture of him a month ago and the other one is how he looks this week. I guess he's really serious about sending in his mission papers :). We are excited for him and know what a huge and scary step it is for him to take in his life. He will not regret it, though, and will learn more about himself and the Lord through this experience.
Okay, now onto Snowflake...
We moved, actually, to Show Low, AZ, which is about 20 minutes from Taylor/Snowflake. We found a house, but it was to buy only, and my parents are so helpful because they are helping us to purchase it and we will rent from them, basically. We are in a little house in Show Low for the time being and are grateful that we could move into this until we find what we need, especially since the rent is only $500 and it will help us get back on our feet. When we moved in, all the utilities were shut off, and wouldn't be turned on until Monday (we moved there on a Saturday). So, Scott's boss and is family (The Brubakers) took us into their home for a few days until it all worked out. They have just been so amazing and kindred spirits. There was absolutely nothing to rent in Taylor/Snowflake, but tons to buy. A lot of it, we found, was just junk, but we think we found a decent home that is well built. We really hope it all works out because we have already started going to that ward. It is actually in the ward of Scott's new boss. I had a hard time with that, at first, because I didn't want to mix the two, but they are so friendly and we feel like we have known them for awhile and I am finding that there really is no way to escape always being around people in a small town :). Every event and every thing that happens, everyone is there. I forgot that is how it is in a small town, but I also forgot how much I love it. After moving in, I had the pleasure of driving the rental truck back to Mesa. We saved $200 by doing that. I was so freaked out and then once I got on the road, I was almost embarrassed with myself on how much I freaked out. I really didn't want to have to drive it, especially in the city, but by the time I got to Mesa, I was so comfortable with it, that I pulled it up to the pump at the gas station before turning it in. I got to spend the day with Jennie and Heidi and so it made the trip totally worth all the stress!
Scott LOVES his job. He has had to learn some things that he hadn't learned from Bunker, but other than that, it is going really well. He's working at Silver Creek Mortuary with Jason Brubaker. There are others we have met through them and through the ward that have made us feel like we were long lost friends! The kids even noticed how friendly and helpful people are around here. If you need something, a person will contact everyone he/she knows to help you get what you need. I heard that the only animosity that goes on around here is whether or not you live in Taylor or Snowflake. If you move to the other, supposedly you are a "traitor" which is funny to me because the kids all go to the same Junior High and High School.
Alec and Calvin get asked EVERYWHERE we go, "Do you play football?". It's almost becoming funny. Alec is actually thinking about doing it and I am not sure about Calvin. I really want him too because I think it would really be good for him, but I don't know. Our family met the coach's father-in-law at one of the restaurants in town and he wanted to know if the boys played. Then I was able to get the football coach's phone number from him and this last week I called the coach. I keep hearing that this is not a normal football team and from talking with the coach, it seemed that, yes, they played football, but that it was more than that to them. That's why I want Calvin to try it. Anyway, who knows what will happen with that. Tomorrow the boys were invited to come weight-train with them, so we'll see if they go.
The boys are in heaven here. They really love the slower pace and nature. They have bought a pellet gun, for starters, and have been out every day trying it out. We went to the 4th of July Rodeo (on the 30th of June!), and had a blast. All the wards in Taylor are assigned to work food booths as service to the town. Our ward was assigned to work the Navajo Taco Booth and our family signed up to do it from 5-7pm...probably the busiest time, but we got to meet a lot of people and had a great time doing it. Scott kept saying, "that was really fun". The boys all helped and had a good time doing it, too. I felt that I was finally starting to feel like I belonged there. I'm the one that's been struggling, but I think it's because I feel I can't settle yet because of all the house stuff. I want this job to last forever and I have a hard time wanting to attach because it hurts to leave. I'll work it out and I'm sure I will jump in, just like I always do. It's just taking me a little longer this time. Anyway, I played softball with the ward this week and was glad they called and asked if I was going to come and play. It was fun. We have all been able to go to the temple and love that you can go to any temple and have the same blessings and Spirit and guidance/comfort. I love that I have kids that allow me to go and actually love it when I do.
While at the Rodeo, we sat next to the Larson family (in our ward...we are loving their family). They have lived here all their lives and are just great. They have one son married, one on a mission, and then Katie (17), and Nick (13) who have befriended our kids (and four other kids, I can't remember their names!). Katie asked Alec and Calvin over to their house for movie night after the rodeo. I am so grateful for other kids that welcome my kids in. They will never know or understand what a blessing they are. So, Alec and Calvin went and had a great time. Donna, Katie's mom, told me today, "I asked Katie what she thinks about the Bowler boys and if they are good boys and she said "Mom, they are good boys and fun to be around"". I just thought that was great and a compliment. Anyway, the story I wanted to get to is that on the way home, Alec hit a rabbit and what did he do?!?!? He turned around and picked it up and brought it home! So, this morning, I woke up to the boys skinning it and gutting it! Then, Dallen wanted to eat the meat, but that was a big "NO!", and then we found out at church that the wild rabbits during the summer have worms in their insides and are not good to eat. The boys are truly loving the country and I want to know why it's okay to do this in the country and not in the city, as much?!? Oh well...
I think that is all that has happened. We haven't been able to move Derrek here yet. There is no room for him, so he will stay with my parents for a week or so before our Bear Lake family reunion, and then one week after and then we will move him here at the end of July. Hopefully the house will close by then and we can move into it. We are all wanting to feel settled. Oh...here is a picture of my kitchen (and pretty much the rest of the house looks this way). I just had to document it, for memory sake :)
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |







No comments:
Post a Comment