A couple of days before we left for St. George for Derrek's graduation, we had two major things happen. The first was the Sunday before, we all found out that Scott's dad got remarried. We were all in shock, especially because he has only known the woman for two weeks. But, in my opinion, I hope it works out for him. Here is a picture...
Her name is Terri Lynn, but there was a bishop with her same name and so she is now going by Ivy Lee. Her 94 yr old mother lives with them, too. She is an accomplished pianist and vocalist, and Chuck seems happy. It's been hard on a lot of us, and for my little family, it was just another reminder that Grandma Ruth is really gone. Heidi is the only one that has met her, because they are in the same ward, so I can't tell you much about her. But, I hope it works out for him.
Then, the second big event is Scott's job. It's been a really weird experience, and the only explanation I have for it, is that it is meant to be. For about a month Scott has been trying to find out what his new position and pay will be at Bunker so that we can see what we need to do on our end. We thought they would tell him when he graduated, but nothing. It was just really weird. Why couldn't they just say something. Scott and I had speculated about what might be happening. Then one morning he woke up with a very distinct feeling that he needed to reject the offer that they were going to propose. We have lived on $10/hour this whole last year, and a whole lot of miracles. We knew it couldn't continue in that grand of fashion, but we knew that it could work out. So, the night before we were to leave for St. George, they finally called Scott in and offered him a very generous offer for what they were going to be having him do. But, it wasn't the intern position that they had said he was to have and basically it was a more glorified grunt. He has loved working there and realized that this offer was very generous for that position. Even while they were "gushing" over his importance to the team, he was reminded about his feelings a few days before and graciously declined their offer. He came home and said "I feel like I just stepped off a cliff". The next morning we left for Derrek's graduation (I'll get to that in a second!). While in St. George, we figure that we could make things work if they could offer $2 more an hour. Bunker said that they were going to hire a Funeral director and a grunt instead, which didn't make sense considering they could have Scott in the funeral director position for less than a licensed funeral director. It was just not making sense! We just couldn't believe that this could be the end of our journey with them. We had a great time in St. George and came back on Memorial Day. That Tuesday, Scott talked to them again, and they basically said, you can stay until you find a new job. Again, he felt like he had just stepped off that cliff. So, Wednesday (the next day) we were focused on "now what?!". He decided to contact others in this business and see if what Bunker was offering was fair and if he needed to go back and plead for his job. He called a guy here in Mesa and basically that guy confirmed that the offer from Bunker was very generous because of the amount of graduates that come out of the school looking for work to intern (40 every year), and they can hire them for really cheap. So, Scott thought about St. George and other places where he had met others. He remembered this one guy in Snowflake, AZ that had helped him with a graveside service and this guy had made a real impression on him. He was rural and decided to see what it was like working rural and what kind of pay he could earn as an intern in a rural area. Thursday he called him and Friday, Scott and I drove up to meet him and his wife, Anna. His name is Jason Brubaker. The boys had gone on an Aaronic Priesthood Encampment Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, so it was perfect timing for Scott and I to just get feelers out without the boys having to see and watch all of this. It would have really wound them up. Friday we went to Snowflake and it was a really good day. Jason and Anna are great and so friendly. Jason started telling us that he had just had an opening and was needing someone. We did not expect it at all, but by the end of the day, Scott had a job offer. We looked at the offer and about died. It was more starting the internship with Jason than Scott could earn after getting his license two years later with Bunker. And that wasn't all of it. There was incentives to being a team member and a representative of Silver Creek Mortuary. It was crazy! We went to the temple there and just sat in awe. We didn't know quite what to think about all of this. We came home and told the boys the next day about the experiences we had had while they were gone. They all said, "I know we are supposed to move". We asked them to fast for their answer on Fast Sunday and then we would talk about it as a family, but we all already knew. So, Sunday night, Scott accepted Jason's offer and that was just last Sunday! We went up this week to look for a place to rent...Nothing is available. I had a thought to call my parents to see if they could/would help us purchase a house. Our credit is trashed from our foreclosure, and it just wouldn't be possible otherwise. My loving parents are willing to help and we are so grateful because that opened up a whole bunch of possibilities, considering there really wasn't any other options! So, this last week we were able to go twice, but still nothing. I have packed the house and we have told the land lord that we will be out by this next weekend. He has been amazing through all this and we are so grateful for them. I never really realized how good I am at packing! Kid's rooms are done, kitchen, almost everything. I have about one day of all the odds and ends and then we are packed! Today, of course, the kids wanted pancakes...packed; orange julius...packed! If it wasn't packed, they wouldn't want it! The kids have been amazing through all this and are really excited to move there. I was so relieved because the move from St. George to Mesa about killed them. I wasn't sure I could or they could handle another trauma like that, but it's been the opposite and I feel that is a huge blessing. It has made this craziness tolerable. So, tomorrow we will go up again to see if we can find something and then we will know what we are doing (hopefully). Through all this, there has been constant peace and thoughts of "be patient" and I know that in a month we will be looking back grateful for the Lord's hand in all this (we already are!). Derrek graduated!!!! He had high honors and was in the National Honors Society. Here are some pictures of that day... The graduation was awesome. It was only an HOUR long! I have never been to one so short! He also graduated from Seminary (shown with his best friend, Brandon). Derrek is just amazing! He pushes himself so hard and achieves his goals. My mother was AWESOME and put together a little graduation party for Derrek, mostly so family could congratulate him and so that we could see people as well. It was such a weight off my shoulders and I really appreciate all that she did for us that day. Derrek, then was off to Grad Night and it was quite the ordeal! I am impressed with the talents of some people. It was themed off the movie "2012" and they were seated in an "airplane" in the auditorium (pictured above) and were given a drink and peanuts! They watched the movie and then then fun began. They went into the gym where it was decorated like they had landed on some island or something. They had tons for the kids to do. They had a wedding chapel and races, and food and pictures, swings, etc. Then Derrek said around 2 am they had a "Minute-to-Win-It" competition, and Derrek won prizes from that. They fed them breakfast and I think it ended around 5 am! Crazy kids! But he had a blast and I am glad. The boys really had fun hanging out in St. George, but Calvin and Alec said that they don't think they would move back any time soon. That was a shocker to me because for half this last year that is all they talked about. We really enjoyed seeing all our friends and family. Here is a picture of us visiting with Grandma Nyquist and Grandma Gilgen (both at the Beehive Cottages).
Two last things...my parents just received their mission call to ROME, ITALY! My parents were really hoping that they would get to go there. They will be gone for two years and leave October 1st. I am so happy for them. They have wanted to do this for quite awhile and have really worked hard to achieve that goal. Derrek has started his mission papers and so in the next month or so, we should know where he is going. Hopefully, we will have a place by then, so that he will know where he is leaving from! It's just been crazy. So grateful to Steve and Michelle for letting Derrek stay another month. We had no idea that all this was coming, but Derrek felt that he needed to stay until July, and we are grateful that he hasn't had to deal with the anxiety and craziness of our life right now. We are so excited for our missionaries! Derrek will be gone and back about the same time as my parents. If Alec goes when he is 19, then he won't see my parents for 3 years, and if Calvin goes when he is 19, he could possibly not see my parents for 4 years! That is just crazy...but I know it will all be fine.
Well, I think that is all that has been going on! I am just grateful for the Lord's hand in our lives. I am grateful for this journey and all that I have learned about myself and continue to learn so that I can be a better person. We will really miss our ward and friends we have made while here in Mesa. They will forever be in our hearts. They took us in when we felt like we had broken wings. They mended our hearts and loved us unconditionally, especially the boys and the rough time they had moving here. I am glad for Facebook for the fact that I can constantly be in touch with these good friends. They have a deep place in my heart forever. It was fun re-uniting with Thelissa Blackhurst (Martineau) after 20 years and my old roommate, Jen. I hope we get to do this again :). I love that we are friends forever, especially in the Gospel. We can all move around, but we are always connected. Anyway, pray for us. We'll let you know where we land.



No comments:
Post a Comment