Sunday, September 23, 2012

Missionaries...

OUR MISSIONARIES!!!  Derrek and my parents (Dan and Miriam) are in the Missionary Training Center in Provo, UT.  My parents arrived there on the 17th of September and Derrek made it there on the 19th.  It is fun because I have an inside source telling me how he's really doing.  My mom said that the MTC doesn't give the Elders/Sisters time to think...they are going-going-going all day long and then they welcome bed time.  My mom said that Derrek mentioned on Friday (he'd been there two days) that he was still a bit overwhelmed, but in a week or so, I know he will feel right at home.  My parents get to do whatever they want/need.  My mom said that she needed to mail a package and they were going to walk down to BYU.  None of that for the Elders!  They also got to attend my Cousin, Mike's wedding in SLC.  We are excited for Mike.  My parents also Skyped me today.  My mom said that she was really sick this last week because they had her get the flu shot and influenza?!? shot (I can't remember the other one), but after that, she was really sick with a fever and such.  Glad she's feeling better.  We wrote Derrek a letter and you can to at "dearelder.com".  Just type in his mission (Columbus Ohio).  I'm not sure his box number, yet.  We haven't heard from him.  I don't even think he knows our address!  I guess he'll figure it out, or ask my parents!  Sending him off was way harder than I thought it would be.  I was fine until that morning and I realized I wouldn't be able to see him for two years and that I wouldn't be able to call or talk to him to see how he was doing whenever I wanted or felt the need to.  Then, as we were saying goodbye, Alec said "see you in three years" and I lost it even more.  I cried the whole morning.  By noon, I was settled down and doing ok.  All the boys were looking at me like I was a freak of nature.  Ashton lost it, too which made Scott tear up.  Ashton loves his brother, Derrek.  But, I know he is in better hands and the Lord can do more with him than any other experience at this time in his life could offer him.  Things are definitely more quiet around here.


Other things that we have been doing...CANNING, CANNING, CANNING!  Sister Rowley, in our ward, has a huge garden and asked if I would like to come raid it because there is no possible way she could do anything with all the food.  So, we went and picked green beans, lots of apples, and tomatoes.  I have made a lot of applesauce, green beans, and spaghetti sauce.  Then my friend, Donna, asked if I would come help her do hers because she just doesn't have time like she used to.  So, I went to her house and did apples (for pies and such), and applesauce.  Then she invited her family over for family night and we canned the rest of my applesauce and worked on her tomatoes to get them ready to be jarred.  It was a fun time and we really like being with the Larson family.  You can see we had quite the production going!

I just got a call from a sister in our ward who said she had a 5-gallon bucket of tomatoes for me, if I wanted them...um, YES!  That's like gold for me.  I think I will do salsa this time.

The boys have been learning how to work hard and serve.  They have been helping a member in our Stake to bail hay.  They didn't realize how hard it really is, and poor Calvin had some fun allergies to go with it.  Luckily there is medicine for that!  They also chopped some wood and I am grateful to these men who are teaching them how to work hard and that it isn't just their parents that do it...it is just a requirement when you live out here.  Ashton got to drive the hay truck and it was a stick-shift!  He was jerking it all around at first (his first time driving...ever!).  He did good by the the end.  Every night they would come home and the boys would say "I'm not going tomorrow" and then they would end up going the next day.  Then the last day they were going to go, the guy borrowed his neighbor's stacker and did 800 bails in a day and got it all done.  He had 2000 to start, so the boys were glad he was able to do that.

I did my first run for the mortuary this last week.  You know they are desperate when they are calling to ask me if I would do a run for them.  It was nice to drive and hang out in Payson and all that.  It is weird, though, that this is just how life is, now and that's ok.

Sending my parents off at the airport on their way to the MTC
We got to go to St. George last weekend for Derrek's farewell talk in the Red Cliff's 6th ward.  It was so good to see all our old friends and there was so much love and support for Derrek and we were really grateful that he was able to go and do that.  I really had a hard time with him demanding that he do a farewell in St. George because of the time and money he was asking us to spend.  We weren't going to be able to go because of finances, but we are very blessed with family that helped us get there.   I felt it was selfish, but in the end I realized why he needed it and I am glad he was able to do it.  It was my parent's farewell also and it was good to be with family.  The kids really wanted to say goodbye to their Nana and Papa, and I am glad we were able to do that.  My sister and sister-in-laws put together a really cute family dinner with my side of the family.  They did decorations for Italy and Ohio and missionary stuff all over the tables.  Then they had an Italian type meal and and ice cream bar.  It was perfect.  Dallen and Ashton, the night before, got to go see Les Miserables in Cedar City with Kent/Amy, Kathie/Paul and their families.  We had a fun time riding to and from St. George with Kathie and Paul and their family.  On the way up, Kathie and I got to ride together and chat the whole way, while Paul and Scott were in the other car.  Then on the way home, the adults (and Jack) were in one van, Calvin and kids in the other, and Derrek and Alec in the car.  It was fun.  Definitely made the trip go faster.


 I almost forgot!!!  Alec, Scott, and Derrek all had birthdays!  Alec turned 18, Scott turned 41, and Derrek turned 19.  It was hard this year because we literally have no money and so the birthdays were kind of lame. Alec and Scott are great because they really don't care (or show that they care).  Derrek is a little different.  He likes the attention and I tried to do my best, but I'll admit, according to his standards, it was lame (sorry Derrek, I tried).  Anyway, we got Alec a didgeridoo.  He has been playing it non-stop...he even brought it to St. George!  It drives Shep nuts, but it is so Alec and I am glad I got it for him.  

Derrek got money to help him go to St. George, and I got Scott a shirt from "Kid History" that says "I've got one minute left in my brain".  It's a quote Scott says all the time and to me it fit perfect.  After their birthdays, Scott mentioned he wanted a cowboy hat!  Now that's something I have to see...and I am not picking that out.  There is no way I would want that responsibility :).

Everything else is going good.  We are healthy and the kids are doing good in school and still adjusting, but they are doing very well.  There are still days that are hard for me.  I like to stay busy and moving to a new place takes all that away and it's hard to have the energy to start up again.  Most days are good, though, and like with everything else, you just gotta keep on going.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh my goodness! I need to read your blog more often!! Scott was in a rodeo?!?! The boys are loving the country life?!? And I believe Ashton is taller than you, Amy. You're starting to look like a shortie!! ;). What great blog posts!!! Sure love you guys. Thanks for keeping us up to date with your blog. XO