Sunday, October 7, 2012

Moving in the right direction...

I love watching General Conference.  Dallen said to me this morning, "I love Conference Sunday.  We get aebleskievers and we get to chill out for church".  I couldn't agree more.  There were a few talks that really spoke to me this weekend and I am excited to go back and dig into them so that I can learn what it was that touched my heart.  I love that we can get them on Mormon Channel the next day and that I can listen to them while I am getting ready in the mornings.  I am also grateful to be able to watch them again with my family.  We record them and every Friday we have "Conference Friday" for our family scripture study.  We take a talk from Conference and listen to it and then when inspired, Scott and I add our own testimony to what we heard.  Calvin watched all the sessions this time and was searching for answers for himself.  He had his journal out and everything.  What an example to me of truly wanting answers from the Lord and knowing where to go to get them.  He told me of a couple talks that he really enjoyed and I hope he found what he was searching for.

Everyone is well.  Scott has had a couple long days and yesterday had to miss almost everything with Conference.  He only got to see the last talk of the Priesthood session and he was so sad.  After he took the boys to dinner (which he was so grateful to be able to do), he had to go back to work for a few hours.  It was a long day.  I am grateful for his continuing hard work.  In days of old, he would have quit by now and he is definitely not that same person.

Derrek is doing much better.  He was struggling being at the MTC and the psychiatrist there is having him take Welbutrim (sp?).  Then a few days later, he wrote me a note and said that they were role playing being in the mission field and he was loving it.  I am grateful he got the help he needed.  I was upset at myself at first because I'm him mom and I should have known, but as quickly as those thoughts came into my head, thoughts of "this is how it had to happen for Derrek and he is being taken care of" came in.  As I thought about it, I realized that this is how it had to happen for Derrek.  I feel bad that he had to go through it, but I realized that he is always saying he doesn't hear the Spirit and this was an example of where he felt he needed to go get help.  He heard and acted (as President Monson stated today).  He leaves for Ohio on Wednesday (in three days) and we are so excited for him.

Alec is doing so good.  I swear he is on a date with a different girl and he is so funny because he makes Calvin go with him.  Last night after Priesthood Session, we were all chilling out and Alec suddenly announces that he and Calvin are going out with Jessica and Brooke...they were in the driveway!  So they went and watched a movie with them and then came back.  He is truly happy and liked the announcement of being able to leave right after high school for his mission.  Calvin is too, but he realized that he wouldn't see Derrek for 4 years and that made him kind of sad.

Something has changed in Calvin.  I think something happened at Seminary, but I am not sure.  One night, when I went in to say "good-night", he said, "mom, could you get me a journal... preferably one with the temple on the front?".  Are you kidding?!?  Yes!!!  I will get you a journal!  So, I went and found him one the next day.  He writes in it often of his thoughts and things that he is learning.  He has been asking questions like "how do I truly prepare for General Conference?" and stuff like that.  He is happier and really trying to find peace and happiness and you can tell a huge difference in him.

Ashton is starting to be my little "playboy".  I think he likes the attention (I mean, who doesn't?!?), so we have had to have discussions on the way girls interpret the "play" and how boys interpret it.  I told him he needed to be careful because girls, for the most part, fall hard, and it can get you in trouble.  He is taller than me and very proud of that...I would expect him to be taller because he has a size 13 foot and needs to grow into them!  He was elected FFA Treasurer and although I am not quite sure what he does, he is loving it and having a really good time.  He has found his little niche and has really adapted well to Taylor, AZ.

Dallen is doing good, too.  There are times when his hormones get the best of him and he is cranky and hates his life, but thank goodness that there is sleep and he can reboot his system and start over.  He is having so much fun here in Taylor and really has a good group of boys to hang out with.  It's funny because he was over at his Young Men Leader's house the other day and I asked him why he was there?  Their oldest child is a girl and she's 11.  They have a 9 year old girl and a 7 year old boy.  I couldn't figure out why he would hang out over there, and then I found out that they got a new puppy...then I found out that the boys are trying to take in another puppy.  Thank goodness Scott is here because I would take it in (ask my parents!).

Scott and I got to go on a little "trip" to Durango, CO.  These days all the trips taken include something to do with the mortuary, but Jason (Scott's boss), wanted us to go and spend the night and have a little get-away.  It is a gorgeous town with some character and the leaves are changing and it is getting colder.  The hotel was right on the river and when we went to breakfast we were right on the river looking over it.  It was so pretty. We had an amazing steak dinner the night before and some Coldstone ice cream...who can go wrong with that?  The kids were awesome and just did their thing.  Dallen got up for school on his own and out the door and Alec went to work and Ashton helped me out at the house and Calvin had school and an extra curricular class he is doing.  I think they do better when I'm gone than when I'm here!  I am grateful they let us do that. Scott and I got much needed talk time and we are so grateful that Jason would treat us like that.

Calvin and Alec are doing a class at school which is the Dave Ramsey course.  My Grandma is a huge fan of Dave Ramsey and so is this town!  I think it is awesome that they have started a class for the high school students.  Even better, is that Calvin and Alec got it for free.  The first 10 that signed up get the course for free, so Calvin (my frugal child) jumped all over that and signed up him and Alec...number 9-10!!  They are learning lots and I think it is great because there are lessons that I have tried to instill in them, but they are finally getting it in a different way and are more willing to listen to someone else teaching it.

Well, no pictures this time...sorry.  Not much to take pictures :).  Alec was going to go to Homecoming, but decided not to.  I am not sure what happened, but it fell through.  Maybe for Prom.

No comments: