We had a fun couple of weeks. We got to see Alex Boye' in concert here in little ole' Snowflake, AZ. Scott and I got to have a pre-concert dinner with him, but basically we had dinner, he took pictures with everyone, grabbed his food and left. Scott's boss is a patron of the Arts here in town and couldn't go, so he gave the tickets to me and Scott. We sat at a table with the Temple President and his wife, President Baldwin, and then a couple from our ward, The Neffs, and another couple, whom I don't know. We haven't gotten the picture back, yet, that was taken of me and Scott and Alex, but if I get it, I will post it :). It was fun meeting him and I can't imagine living that life. The concert was in the high school auditorium and it was really fun. He is so entertaining. Our favorite part, of course, had to be when he had all the Scouts come up on stage. I was sitting in the very back and all I had was my phone (not great at taking pictures), but here are all the Scouts that were there...there are quite a bunch in this predominately Mormon community :). He did this song with them, so imagine this going on with all these kids...it was a lot of fun. As he was teaching the steps, Ashton was kind of in front and Alex looked over and said, "What is that? It looks like you're going to the restroom!". We were all laughing, and Ashton, the good sport, was laughing, too. He still thinks it's funny. Anyway, it's a fun song and Dallen, especially has been singing it all week :)
Then, he had it in his head how he wanted to set up shop. The kid's computer was zapped by lightening one day (the Computer Store in town had 8 come in from the same storm!)...and yes, it was on a power cord! Anyway, so, I told him that the desk was free to use because the computer is not being used right now, and that is what it was on. So, this is the little set-up he came up with in his closet
He's got his "paint booth" set up, as well as his work station (the closet is pretty big!). I told him when he paints, he will have to leave the door open so that the fumes don't make him high :) I don't know if they are that powerful, but I don't want to take any chances :).
He bought a fun painting tool. He can spray paint the model paint. Anyway, cars have always been an outlet for Calvin. If he's not drawing designs on them, he's thinking of ways to make them better.
During the day, he had a job interview!!! On his birthday!!! He was so nervous. It was with Kmart, and it's that time of year they are looking for seasonal work, so he applied. He got a call back and has a second interview next Friday (because he's in school during the week!). He was so excited. I really hope he gets it. He works so hard to get a job. He's put in so many applications and he just needs a foot in the door so that he'll have something on a resume to apply to other places with. He is an example of perseverance and patience. It has been hard, but he keeps going and trying.
Then Calvin and I went to lunch. He said, "I don't want it to be expensive, I just want to go out with you and dad". Scott had a really busy day, and couldn't break away for lunch, so Calvin and I went to Sonic :). It was fun to hang out with him and that he wanted alone time with us/me. Then I was going to pay for the boys to go see the movie "Here Comes the Boom" (I thought it was a good/funny movie and wanted the boys to see it), but Alec had gone out on a date (didn't tell us that he was), and Dallen got invited to go to a haunted barn/corn maze. So, for cheaper, we bought the movie "Avengers" (Calvin hadn't seen it yet) because we couldn't rent it anywhere in town, and stayed home and watched that and had some pie (we forgot to bring out the ice cream!).
He said he had a good day, and I am glad. He's a great kid and we were reflecting on how it seems weird that he's only "17" because he has seemed so much older.
The rest of us are doing well. Derrek sounded like he was doing better this last week, and that is good. I know it will be hard for him, but that is fine. We all need a little rough patches to remember when things are good. Alec and Calvin, both at different times, rolled their quad in the yard on the same day! Calvin scraped up his face pretty good and then felt dizzy for the next day or so...even fainted in the shower! Alec wouldn't go help him or check on him because he was naked and so he came and got me and just yelled to Calvin, "are you ok?". Calvin got up and said, "dude, I think I just fainted" and Alec said, "yah, you fell hard". That's when I came in and I'm just glad he was ok! Alec scraped up his hand and such pretty good and after that, they decided they are going to sell the thing!
Ashton, I think, is no longer in FFA...well, he at least can't go on their field trips, because he wouldn't sell their fundraiser of at least 5 boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts for $10 each. I asked him why he wouldn't sell at least five and he said "Mom! They are $10! That is so expensive for donuts!". I just laughed because I realized I have taught them well, but have missed the whole point of fund raisers! So, I told him to see if he can still do it, but I haven't heard anything and it is up to him whether or not he wants to stick to it. I just thought it was funny he wouldn't sell them because he thought they were too expensive and couldn't ask others to pay for something that was so overpriced! Love it!
Ashton also caught a large horny toad during 2nd period this last week, at school, and carried it around all during school (I'm not sure how he got away with that!), and brought it home. The poor thing! Anyway, it escaped out of the box Ashton had it in (Ashton tends to forget to put a lid on...we've lost a frog, snake, and lizard because of this!). Anyway, we found it and as part of it's defense, it shoots blood from it's eyes and so after that, we let it go outside. Poor thing!
Well, I think that's it for this last week. Check out Derrek's blog (elderderrekbowler.blogspot.com) for updates on him and my parent's mission blog is fun to read, too (steurersinitaly.blogspot.com). They all seem to be doing well. We'll hear from Derrek tomorrow (Monday is his P-day), and so I am sure I'll be posting another letter tomorrow from him.


No comments:
Post a Comment