We have had a good week. We have stayed fairly busy with work and that always feels good. I really am amazed at the tender mercies that keep coming our way. This week we were blessed with extra money from a Pre-need that helped us do things that we needed to pay. It always comes in the last possible minute, and I have really learned not to panic or get wound up, which is HUGE for me. I know we are trying and we are moving in the right direction and sometimes it doesn't go as fast as I would like to see myself change, but I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that sends tender mercies to help keep us hopeful and remember to rely on Him.
We are going to be getting chickens this week. I am actually kind of excited. I will not put rat poison, though, around the grounds and let the chickens out or have one of my kids do that (lesson learned, dad!). We are going to get about 12, as recommended by my friend who literally calls me and walks me through all the in's and out's of this. Her husband is awesome, too, because he has helped us get ready for our garden, and we are going to be planting about 200 onions! I use a lot in salsa and spaghetti sauces, so hopefully my tomatoes do as well. I am excited to try it this year and so grateful for all our friends here that are willing to share their secrets and help us get started. They have also taught me that we can store almost everything we grow and it has been very fun to learn. I love canning (just made some strawberry jam this last week) and last year, picking other people's gardens, made me excited for the fruits of my own labors. Everyone says to not start the garden until the middle of May because there is always one last freeze, so we are obeying :).
Alec has 7 weeks left until he graduates. He is doing really well and realizing that he is doing okay and on the right track. We just found out that he could be receiving his mission call this week, but most likely next week. Derrek's best friend in St. George, Brandon Graves, just got his mission call to Paraguay and will be in the MTC in Argentina. It seems to fit Brandon. I am just amazed at hearing the calls these kids are getting, that I know personally, and to see that the mission they are called to really seems to fit their personalities and I can see how their gifts and talents could be used there. The Lord truly knows us and knows what will make us stretch and grow as well as being able to use our gifts and talents. I love hearing about Derrek and his ability to relate to others through music. Alec has his own gifts and talents and I was thinking about the ones I can see as a mother and I realized that wherever he goes, the Lord knows that Alec is so aware of those who are down and since he was born has always tried to help others out and make them happy again. He is an amazing cook and amazingly handy. Today he tied back on the bumper to their car with pipe-cleaners. He just amazes me and I know that his ability to fix almost anything and his willingness to help others in need, he will be able to be used in ways he never imagined.
We just found out today that someone in our ward just paid for Alec's whole mission. Last week our Bishop asked families to donate if they felt they could to the Ward Mission fund because there are missionaries who have returned that still show that money is "owed" or needed to finish paying for their mission. Anyway, there was a guy in our ward, according to the Bishop, who asked the Bishop who could use it the most right now, and he said, the Bowler Family. They have one out and another going and they have been very tight. He said he wanted to pay for Alec's mission and didn't even hesitate. I am grateful. Alec was in shock and realized that this is all very real. I really want to be able to do that for a family in the future, and I know I will be able to. Where we are financially is not permanent and we are continually making changes to our habits and practices that I can see the direction is pleasing to the Lord. I know we will be able to accomplish our goals and the Lord knows our hearts. Anyway, we are just really feeling blessed.
All the boys are still doing good. Dallen found out that someone was giving away horses for free and he was so bummed because we couldn't get one. I reminded him that the horse was the cheap part, but the fencing, stable, saddle, hay, and all the other necessities that go with a horse are what costs us. I told him that if it is the Lord's will and a righteous desire, the Lord will help him get the money earned and I can see us having a horse in a year or so. It won't be the last time a horse was given away or would be really cheap. We have a guy in our ward who is willing to help Dallen learn how to work with a horse on Fridays after school and then on Saturday, he said that Dallen could come and ride. What a blessing that is. The guy is actually Ashton's PE teacher at the high school and had a near death experience a few months ago and has totally changed his outlook on life. He is a good man, and I really am forever grateful for his kindness in teaching Dallen.
Ashton has really picked up on sketching and drawing. He prints off pictures from the computer and sketches them. It bothers him that he doesn't have the imagination to just draw something, but I told him to just draw what he sees and the rest will come. He is really excited to take art next year. Calvin, too, is an amazing artist and his teacher has really helped him become better at his skill. It is fun to see all the pictures of sketches floating around the house. Ashton is ALWAYS drawing and I love how happy it makes him. I will scan and post some next week if he lets me. He is a little protective of his work, but I think it's great.
General Conference was this weekend and we LOVE General Conference at our house. We look forward to our little traditions that we have. We were so grateful that Scott was able to listen to the whole weekend with his only 1st call for the mortuary during the last 1/2 hour of the last session. Such a blessing, considering we cannot control when people pass away. It has been very enlightening and as I listened and have been praying for answers to be heard in Conference, they came, as always, and I am so grateful...now I just have to re-plot my course and head in the better direction. We had friends over for Aebleskievers and got them hooked :). They are fun to share with others and a fun tradition. Dallen and Ashton liked the part where President Monson talked of taking matches and burning the field. They realized that they were ok and that the Prophet made mistakes when he was young. It was cute watching them high-5 each other like he was part of their team. We had conference on in the front room and on Saturday, Elder Eyring gave a talk and just as he said "now for those of you with wayward children" or something to that effect, Calvin walked in the room and pointed at himself and then sat down for a little while to hear the rest. Of all the things that were talked about I thought it was almost funny that Calvin walked in right then during those words and pointed to himself. I know Calvin is doing okay. I had an amazing experience confirming to me that the Lord is aware of Calvin and his needs. It was a weight off my shoulders and I can truly just love Calvin and know that he is in good hands. Calvin and I got to hang out Saturday night. He decided to not go to the priesthood session and so I asked him to go with me to go shopping. We had a good time and I hope he felt how much I truly love him and love being around him. He's such a good kid.
Well, that's all for this week. I'll post pictures of our chickens. We have a little while until we build our coop. Dad, do you remember what our coop looked like?!? You should send me a sketch :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment