Alec asked a girl named Hannah Caldwell. He had this great idea to freeze a note, asking her to prom, in a bucket of water and then making her hammer through the ice to get to the note. As in Alec style, the night before he wants to ask her, he said, "hey mom, can you help me ask a girl to prom?" and I said, "What?!? You want to go to prom? When is it? Who do you want to ask?" Then he said, "Hannah, a couple of weeks". I love when he talks to me! So much information!!! Anyway, so we figured it out and put the bucket in the freezer. We arranged to meet after his lunch and he had gotten permission from the principal to set it up in the "Quad" or the courtyard of the school and there would be the block of ice with her name attached to the hammer on top of the ice. So, I met him with the bucket of ice and he and some friends met me and took it in. Then I got a text from him about 45 minutes later that said "it failed"...WHAT?!?! I finally got out of him that as he was getting the ice out of the bucket, it wasn't frozen all the way through and fell apart, and just as this was all happening, she just happened to walk through the courtyard (everyone was supposed to be in class at this time!) and saw that he was doing this and it was failing! So, since she was there, he just went ahead and asked her. Later on Facebook I found this picture posted on Alec's page...
So, I figured out she said "yes". He was SO cute watching him make plans and arrangements. He had budgeted and planned what he needed as far as money and set it all aside. I was so impressed with watching how careful he was with everything. He ordered the corsage and boutonniere on his own, decided the outfit he was going to wear (decided he didn't want to spend the money on a tux and decided to buy a silver shirt to go with his black suit and a lime green tie because her dress was silver and lime green). I had thought about offering to pay for it, but then I realized half way through all of this that he didn't need or want my help in that way. Then later in the week, he asked if I could help him do a breakfast for the morning of Prom because they were going to do that and then go Paint-balling. He went with three other couples, (8) in their group, and the guys all got together and planned everything out. It was so fun to watch Alec go to "planning meetings" and stuff. So, Friday night, they had a movie night outside and got a projector and did the movie against one of the buildings in town. Here is a picture I found on Alec's F.B. page (again!)
This is Alec with Hannah and Brittney (I think that is her name). Alec made Orange Julius and took it and they had a good time (Alec's words..."it was fun"). Then there was the breakfast the next morning at our house. Did I get a picture?!? No, because I felt like I was intruding and didn't want to do that to the group, but then kicked myself for not doing it...oh well. So, we had a waffle bar and fruit and it went well and was fun to meet them all. Then they went to play paint ball and Hannah said that she and Alec rocked and didn't get hit at all. The boys had planned out what games they were going to play (capture the flag, tag, etc) with paint ball. Then they came back and decided to go swimming at Fools Hollow Lake. Um...it just snowed here last week! I told them they were crazy and Alec was not even sure he wanted to go, but being the good sport he is, he went, and of course went swimming. Crazy kids! Then they got ready for the dance and as Alec is taking a little nap, I could just imagine the girls getting ready, doing their hair and all of that and then at our house I didn't even see him before he walked out the door!!! He got dressed, and walked out the door, but then had to come back in for something and that is when I saw him all dressed up. He wouldn't let me take a picture. So, I guess I will have to scour Facebook when those pictures come up and post them later. I am not sure what they did. Alec just said it was fun and that they had Fettuccine Alfredo at someone's house and that they were home by midnight. He did say, though, that his suit jacket was taken, probably on accident because the one left that he grabbed didn't fit him and was a rental, so he turned that one in to a teacher because someone is going to have to return it, and hopefully they will bring his back to the school on Monday. If not, oh well...that's how it goes sometimes.
We have been super busy around here. All the kids are ready for school to be out...I'm not sure why...there isn't much for them to do! Calvin is still looking for a job, but no luck. It's hard when he applies to a job and the town in so small that he finds out that someone else gets it who turned in their application later than he did. I don't know what to tell him anymore. I just turn to the Lord. He knows better what is going on, anyway.
I just found out, today, that I am being release as Primary Pianist. It is bitter/sweet because it is a really challenging calling for me because I know I am not as good as others are in our ward, but I really have enjoyed being in there and playing the songs in my home and being able to serve and grow in that way. Bishop asked that I not say what the new one is, so I will post that next week :). I knew that the time was coming to be released, though. As I have been practicing really hard on this new song I am supposed to learn, I had very strong feelings that I would not be playing this for the program in the fall. It's weird when promptings come like that. Then I just sit and wait until it all changes. In a way, I am grateful for the "heads-up". This happened when I was YW President. I needed a new counselor (one was moving) and a new secretary but for over a month, nothing was coming to me, and then I had a very real impression that there was change in the air and that I just needed to work with what I have and be patient. A few weeks later, Scott was called as Bishop of a new ward and all the boundaries were changed in our Stake. I just kept telling Scott before the changes were made "something big is coming, but I am not sure what. I just know I'm not supposed to press getting my presidency filled". Anyway, it was cool to be in the middle of that and have those impressions.
Alec received the Melchizedek Priesthood today. It's so incredible to see your boys turn into men. This last year has been incredible to watch Alec. Snowflake/Taylor has really changed him and made him probably the best of himself that I have seen.
Calvin has a new side project going on and I am so impressed with the men we live by. I think most of them have left the Church at one time and then have chosen to come back and it seems that they have been coming out of the wood works to put an arm around Calvin and touching him in ways that aren't "churchy". Anyway, Calvin's new project is restoring an older motorcycle. It is his art teacher's motorcycle/dirt bike and he has worked it out with Calvin to either give him some of the profit, if he decides to sell it, or Calvin is hoping to get to keep it. Here is a picture of the "before"...
Our neighbors are also awesome and have been helping Calvin with ideas that he could do. They tinker on things all the time at their house and so I am sure they can help. But, there is one that came over today to talk with him about it, Brother Powers. He has rebuilt many motorcycles and knows how to go about doing it. Anyway, he has made himself available to Calvin and I am so grateful. Calvin still thinks he will be going to St. George for his Senior year, but we'll see. It seems like everything keeps pulling him here, except his ability to get a job, but I know there is a reason for that. It will be interesting to see where all of this goes for Calvin. It's like watching a good movie where you can't possibly ever guess the ending!
I get to go to Women's Conference this week. I am so grateful for the opportunity. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to go, but I knew that I needed to and I knew that the Lord would help me find a way, and He has. I am really excited and so grateful that Scott and the boys let me go. Scott keeps saying "I'm so excited for you, that you get to go". I love that my husband is so supportive even though I know that having me here is easier for him. Anyway, I'm excited.
We are all doing well, even Derrek. I have been missing him really bad the last couple of weeks. I don't know why, but I just have been missing him. I can't tell him that, but I wanted to write it down so that he would never doubt that we do think about him and miss him.
Alec should be getting his call this week...while I'm at Women's Conference! I am going to ask him if he would at least put me on speaker phone while he opens it, but I will leave it up to him. It is not my call, it is his and however he wants to do it, it is his choice. I just hope he tells be before he actually leaves! I can just see Alec packing and I ask "what are you packing for" and he'll say "oh, I'm leaving for my mission in the morning". We'll see...the Lord gave me a very big tender mercy when we opened up Derrek's call. I was there to pick him up to move to Taylor with us and he hadn't received it yet and it came on the day I arrived and he was able to open it with family, friends, and I was able to be there. Maybe Alec won't get his until next week and then I can be there, but I am okay not being there. I just want to celebrate it with him and know where he is going. He's really excited to go and has just grown up, it seems, over night.



No comments:
Post a Comment