Sunday, January 26, 2014

Can we start the new year over?!?

I can't believe December is gone and so is January!  Well, I won't tell lots of stories, but we'll just do the highlights this week and then hopefully get back on track next week (not making any promises!).

Christmas was great.  We took fun pictures and then Scott's SD card crashed and they are all lost.  I was sad, but oh well...  We got to Skype my parents, Derrek, and Alec who are all serving missions.  We were on Skype for at least 5-6 hours that day, and if any of you know me...I don't like doing Skype, but I was so happy to see them and talk to them.  We had fun.  We tried to set it up so that Alec and Derrek could Skype each other, but Derrek couldn't hear Alec and so they were just able to wave to each other, which I thought was just as cool.  I think Alec called Derrek later.  Alec was VERY homesick that day.  It was really hard for him, but he made it and is doing good (go see his blog!).

We just hung out for Christmas break.  Scott and I had to work and so did Calvin, so Dallen and Ashton did what they do most...Dallen hung out outside and Ashton inside!  There is NO snow here, and it is almost eerie in a way.  Last year, the kids were sledding and having a great time, but not this year.  Dallen went on a Klondike campout with Scouts and there was NO SNOW!  I have NEVER heard of a Klondike campout without snow.  They raced their "sleds" in the dirt.  So crazy!  He had fun, though, and that's all that counts.  We do hope we get some moisture (snow or rain...we don't care at this point).  I hope we do because this area has been known to have some pretty nasty wildfires and lightening storms that start them.  We'll see what happens.

Calvin lost his job with Celebrations a couple weeks ago.  He handled it like a champ.  I really was SO impressed with his maturity in the whole situation.  He talked with his boss face to face and they both came to a mutual agreement that it was time for him to move on and he just told her that he really appreciated getting the opportunity to work for her and the things he's learned and just asked that she would give him a good reference.  She agreed to that.  I don't know all the details and I only hear his side of things, and even though he didn't feel it was completely fair with how he was let go and why, he handled it so much better than I have seen some adults handle it.  It was really a privilege to watch.  Someone said, "way to go, mom" and that is not correct...it was all Calvin.  We just found out today that he now will be working for Sonic in town.  I told him that my boyfriend in high school worked there and his hands always smelled like onions.  Funny the things we remember!  He thinks he'll be a cook and he's excited to start earning money again.  He likes the freedom.  That's the other thing, too.  He seriously has been amazing to watch through all of this.  He knew that he had one last paycheck to get and didn't know when his next job would be.  So, he chose to ride the bus to school and not waste his gas.  It's things like that where I think, I am pretty sure I would have thrown a fit!  Like I said, he has just been so fun to watch and I love seeing the young man he is.

Ashton turns 16 next week.  He's so bummed that he waited to get his permit.  We just left it in his hands as to when he was ready to take the test and he chose to do it 2 months after he was allowed.  So, he will get his license in April and believe me...he's counting down the days.

Work was CRAZY for Scott during the holidays.  It is interesting to see that people wait until they get through Christmas or New Years and then decide they are done.  We had a great Christmas day.  It was quiet and we really were able to enjoy it.  Then Friday hit and I think Scott had 7 cases between Friday and Monday.  Then New Years was kinda quiet and then the same thing.  I almost lost my job with  my neighbor because during the week of New Years, I was gone to Tuscon for trips every day.  One of the Police officers at the Medical Examiner's office in Tuscon said "I think I have seen you more this month and people I work with!"...he wasn't lying.  It was crazy.  So, I had to have a heart-to-heart with my boss and it was good.  I really needed it and so did she.  It was one of the hardest things I have ever done because there was a real fear of losing my job and it really is perfect, but I understand that my mortuary runs do take a toll on her, especially when we are so busy.  Everything is back on track for now and I am a little more conscious of her needs and she realized a lot of things, too.  She's a good person.

Okay, one last little story.  Last Sunday I was getting ready to walk out the door and this is what I almost stepped on...

Presents from our cats.  To the left is the bunny's head, then the body and a mouse.  I love our kitties.  They are awesome hunters, but please don't leave them at the door!  If you look close, you will see the guts of the bunny coming out the top (it looks like it's the head, but it's not...remember, that's to the left!).  Anyway, we came home and it was gone!  Licked clean!  So, now we think the cats were bringing gifts to Shep and Angel because that's who cleaned up the mess.  Dallen was glad because he was the designated cleaner of the mess because he has the most animals, but the dogs did it for him.  So gross!!!  Good ole' country life!

This week we get to go down to Phoenix and Mike and Laura are coming with their family and new addition, Marcus.  We are so excited to see everyone down there.  We get to go through the Gilbert Temple open house, too.  Calvin has to stay home because he has too many absences at school and now he has a new job he is starting.  We will miss having him, but grateful for the job.

No comments: