Sunday, December 15, 2013

Well into the Holidays!

Let's see...some things that have happened since I last wrote (I'm getting lazy!).  I got to go to Time Out for Women in Phoenix.  That was fun.  I hitched a ride with a lady in our ward and her sister and mom.  It was really fun getting to know them.  Her poor mom was sick on the way down and we had to stop a couple of times so she could do some business on the side of the road.  Luckily it was from her medication she was taking and not an actual bug!  I got to hang out with my friend from Mesa.  She just recently got divorced and so it was good to spend time with her and see how things are going.  I am just reminded how lucky I am to have a husband that continually wants to do what is right and do his best and even when he finds out he's wrong, he does everything he can to make it right.  I really am blessed!  Anyway, it was fun hanging out with the girls (Scott's sisters and cousin).  We always like to hang out :)  A couple weeks later, we went down to Phoenix for Thanksgiving.  We had a good Thanksgiving.  We went to Phoenix.  We really enjoyed our time there.  I think because we can't go anywhere as often as we used to be able to, we seem to soak up the time we are able to be with family and friends.  It is hard, though, because it never seems like we have enough time to sit and chat with everyone individually.  The girls didn't do their annual shopping and breakfast because we recently found out that some of the guys really don't like when we do that (haha...I don't know why?!?).  So, instead, we decided that we would rather sleep in and go shopping that night instead...so we did.  Around 10:00 pm some of us went.  I went to Khol's and the line was ridiculous!  It was probably an hour and a 1/2 wait in line.  It was PACKED!  Anyway, I found my nieces in line and gave them my extra debit card and they purchased the items for me so that we could go to Target and Walmart.  That was so nice!  It seemed good because the next day we were able to hang out more with everyone, although, Scott and I went and saw his dad for 3 hours.  It was good and he is happy.  His wife, Ivy (or Terry), is very musically inclined and she played some of her music that she has written.  We enjoyed our visit.  It definitely is different than it was with Ruth, but I realized while sitting there that they are happy and being watched over, and for that I am grateful.  We went and saw "Frozen".  It was entertaining and cute.  We also found out that Chris and his new wife (married in July) are expecting their first child 3 months after Amy (Chris's mom) is due!  We are excited for them all.  Here are some pictures from Thanksgiving...
Calvin entertaining himself while waiting to eat 

Ashton sitting with Heidi's neighbor, Will, who joined our family for the day

Played lots of Volleyball and other sports

We were conversing about reading Grandma Bowler/Jacobson's personal history...great read!

The spread 

Some of the cousins (Dallen in the middle of them)

Ashton showing off his volleyball skills

the players (most constant ones, anyway)

Planning our shopping trips


We really had a good time.  Then we went home and it seemed like the world was falling around us for the day!  Our car broke down on the way home.  We found out it was the power steering pump (didn't know there was such a thing) and that was $400.  Then we went to check on the animals and found out that all but two of the chickens had been eaten.  Something broke through the chicken wire and ate them all.  One that was injured, died in the coop and the kid watching our animals tried to save it, but Shep was protecting it and he couldn't, so it died.  The other two were injured, but seemed to be doing okay.  Then the next day, I came home from work and the chicken pen was open!  I had specifically told the kids to leave them in so that they could heal.  We had no idea where they were.  Then Dallen went to the neighbor's house and their dog had half our chicken.  We didn't know how she got it and we had no idea where the last one was.  Around 9 that night, we checked to see if she had tried to come back to the pen, and sure enough, there she was.  She was injured REALLY bad.  She ended up dying a couple days later.  We learned that the neighbor dogs had learned how to open the pen through the door that we have and they got in again, after I had gotten some more chickens on Facebook (for free!).  Two more down!  So, now we have the pellet gun out and these chickens squawk really loud, so we know when something is there.  Sure enough, today, I heard them squawking and Dallen ran out there with his gun and started shooting at the dumb dogs...they were back.  I am not sure what we are going to do, but for now this is working.  I'm hoping that with enough pellets in the butt, they will get the message.  If it's not the neighbor dogs, it's the coyotes or the hawks...joys of living in the country!  The poor kid watching the animals felt so bad.  He thought it was his fault...what?!? Shauna got out (phone call on the way home from Phoenix) and he thought that was his fault, too, but the strap we had holding the gate broke, and so his father helped him make something more secure.  Crazy week, for sure!  We were sad that all the chickens were gone.  We really liked collecting the eggs.  These new ones are more wild and they look like a cross between a road runner and a chicken.  They haven't started laying, yet, and I'm not sure when they will.  They are about 9 months old, but they are a different breed than before, so I am not sure what to expect.  But, they were free and if anything, we'll have some nice chickens for food storage :)

Boys are doing good.  Calvin is playing basketball (well, hopefully...he had a fall-out with the "friend" that is in charge of the team and he hasn't been telling Calvin when the games are...kind of a bummer).  Ashton is getting good at driving.  Only 6 more months until Scott takes his Funeral Director license exam.  I am excited that it will be more "final".  We are so grateful for all of this experience, though.  It's been one of our hardest, yet best journeys!   

No comments: