
We were able to go to the Draper Temple Open House. All I can say is...WOW! We wanted to have the kids see inside the temple so that they would understand a little more of why Scott and I crave going there. I love that the Church gives us and anyone, LDS or not, to have the chance to go through and be taught about what happens in there and the different rooms and things done in those rooms. I think the power of knowledge helps in understanding, whether or not you believe it yourself. I am an idiot, though, because I didn't take any pictures while we were there. There really wasn't a place to take the picture and you aren't allowed to take any in the temple, out of respect. It is a smaller temple, but as always, incredibly amazing. They took us through the baptistry, the four ordinance rooms and two of them had murals of being in a forest setting, but one of the two serioulsy took our breath away when we walked in the room. I just wanted to stay in there. It made you feel as though you were in the forest and it was so peaceful and you never wanted to leave. Derrek kept asking "someone really painted this by hand?". Yep! There were actually two artists. Anyway, it was amazing and the kids really liked it. Plus, it is always good to get away, even if it is for only a day. They also took us into the Celestial room and a sealing room. They also had a gorgeous brides' room...seriously amazing. It was like you were in a princesses' room. Anyway, if you ever have a chance to go, I would encourage you to do so. Any age...you can take babies, too! They have another temple open house coming in June through August at the Oquirrh (oak-er) Mountain Temple (you could see it from the Draper Temple). I think we are probably going to try and do that one at the Steurer Family reunion, since we will be close by.
And last but not least...I didn't write last week because the story I had to tell wasn't ready to be told...I was still upset about it! Scott and I went to the movie last Saturday and while we were there, I get a text from the boys saying that Alec was lighting a candle and making a torch with the can of Pam...IN THE KITCHEN! Then he decided to go outside to do it...which only means that the flame must have been big and he knew that if we came home to the house being burnt down, he might just be in trouble. I am sure it was fun and cool to see, but seriously I was really upset. I just don't get how he (and the others for that matter) don't think about the possible consequences. I could even see Scott doing it! He was grounded all week and then when we came back from our trip to Salt Lake, he was grounded again because he had a D in his SCIENCE CLASS! Isn't that where they permit things like torches from the Pam can? ARGH! His excuse was that he just didn't turn in the assignments...all 11 of them! Any help on motivating a child that doesn't care about anything? Maybe if I use the incentive of being allowed to do a torch if he gets good grades would entice him...hmmm....that might be a good idea. Anyway, I can sort of laugh now...and as time passes, I will just add it to the pile of stories that a mom collects just from having boys!

3 comments:
I have the same problem with Ben. Finding what motivates him is like looking for a needle in a haystack! And it's different for each situation!!! Patience and observance is the only thing I got so far! I feel your pain and know it's just going to get worse! OI!!!!! Good luck! Love yoU!!!!!
Wow, you made me want to drive 12 hours to go see the Draper temple!!! That's cool that they have full size murals.
Aaargh! That's all I have to say about the Pam torch. I have no advice - the longer I'm a parent, the more I realize: I KNOW NOTHING!
We loved the temple too, I liked all the details you remembered. Spencer was on one that day, and I was so distracted trying to keep him from bumping into the people in front of us and running away. The murals were really neat.
Post a Comment