Sunday, February 27, 2011

Past few weeks...


We have had a busy couple of weeks. We had a fun Valentine's Day party. I like celebrating Valentines Day because it is a day I can be girly and the boys don't complain! Actually, I think they secretly look forward to it...just like when we would pick names off the giving tree at Christmas time and it would be for girls and we would walk down the "Barbie" isle and I think they secretly like that too! Anyway, it was fun. We had heart pizzas and I always make some sort of gift box/bag and fill it with candy that I know they would like. We had Jose over with us and Tyler (a kid in our ward that Alec was babysitting, and I couldn't have Alec miss the party, so I had him bring Tyler too!).

Ashton had a choir concert and it was fun because they did renditions of "Humpty Dumpty" and "This Old Man". They even played the kazoo, which I think was their favorite part. Ashton really loves to sing. I hope he continues that.
Later that week, we had family come into town. Kathie's family and Heidi's family (Scott's sisters) and their dad came to celebrate our Nephew's farewell for his mission. He left this last week for the MTC and will be heading to Russia in a few months. It also happened to be Dallen's birthday while they were all here and so we took the party to Pirate Island Pizza because it was rainy and there was not enough room for Scott's family and my family! Thank you to all who came and helped us celebrate Dallen's 11th birthday.
We had another momentous night, a few nights later...we attended our last cub scout meeting as parents of a cub scout. I can't believe I have no more cub scouts! Dallen is now a Scout. I am sure I will be called back into it, one day, but to know that I have no more is just weird. It seems like we have been involved in cub scouts forever :). It feels weird because Scott and I had a deal when we realized we were having all boys, and that is that I would do cub scouts and get them through that, and then he would do Scouts and get them through that (I would help where I could, but it was more him and campouts and things like that). So, I guess I have no more responsibility in that area of cub scouts. We are done.

Also, this week...Jose, who had been living with us, and we still consider our "son" received his mission call to Canada, Montreal...Spanish speaking. We are so excited for him and feel in our hearts that the Lord truly knows Jose. I really can't imagine him anywhere else. He will be leaving for the MTC on June 29th...the same week we are planning on moving to Mesa. So, we will probably be taking Jose to the MTC and coming home and loading the truck to move. It will be a wild time, but we are grateful for the opportunity to help Jose and it has been neat to watch him with his family...I am not sure they fully comprehend what is going on and in a way have been immersed in having to learn a little more about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints whether they wanted to or not. They are not going to see their brother, son, nephew, cousin for two years and I think they are trying to comprehend what this is all about. They have come to church the past two weeks, by Jose asking and explaining to them what is going on. His sister, Angelica, was here when he opened his mission call. I am pretty sure she didn't know what to think. I know with Jose's example, they will at least feel in their hearts that this is a good thing. We heard Jose speak today in Stake Conference and Scott leaned over and said, can you imagine him in two years after his mission? It was a humbling thought because he is an amazing spirit/person right now. We look forward to seeing the man he is to become. It will be pure joy.

Scott is still doing really well in school and that helps me with fears of before. I see things changing and I am glad that he really feels purpose and is excited for the future. It wasn't always that way. We have started narrowing down where we would like to live and will case neighborhoods while we are down there for Spring Break.

Also, I now have a facebook page. So, if you want me to be your friend...I'm there :). And, I found Alec on there, too...he's not supposed to have a facebook page. He set it up on his friend's phone...nice. Not quite sure what to do about that one...

We just got word that Scott's grandpa Stander (his mom's dad) is fading fast from this life. We are happy for him and yet are sad that we will have to wait again to see him. He just turned 90 this past December and our thoughts and prayers are with him and his two daughters, Karen and Darlene, and his wife, Jackie. We love you grandpa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I was reading your thoughts on cub scouts I kept thinking "why isn't there a big 'WHOO HOO'?!" I'm learning to love my calling in cub scouts...but doubt there will be tons of love loss when the Lord sees fit to move me on. ;)