It has been said that in life there is always one thing that you can count on, and that is change. This week there has been happy change and sad change...
Last Sunday night, we got the word that Scott's grandpa, William "Bill" Stander, passed away. We were glad for him, but death always brings on the realization that we are going to be separated for a period of time. Scott and I were so happy for him that he is now able to be with his first wife, Doris, and their daughter (Scott's mom), Ruth. But, we are still here to work through life. Ugh! It was a beautiful service and a reminder that our time on this earth, really isn't that long and our time to "prepare to meet God" is really only a matter of years (whether we die old or young). So, when I was reflecting on that, I was instantly grateful that I have another day and hopefully more days to "prepare to meet God". It was supposed to rain the whole day of the funeral...but once again, the Lord poured out tender mercies on us and brought out the sun for the half hour that we were outside. As soon as the services were over and we got back in the cars to head to the luncheon, it started to rain again (and rained hard!). He had a miliary burial, and a gun salute and to see the American Flag on a Soldier's casket made me reflective of all those who have died for our freedom in the past and now. Wow! I am grateful! How I take it for granted! Like I said, it was a beautiful service and day.
Scott and I left the kids home for two days and a night while we went to the funeral. They informed me, when I got back, that they did better with me gone. What they didn't know, was that I had set things up for them so that they would have a good time together. I am glad they think they can do things without me, and maybe next time we have to leave them, they will remember that they are "adult" enough keep down the fort!
The other change that we had this week was Alec! He was in a drill team performance at school. He did one dance with the drill team, learned the steps, went to practices, and wanted to perform it perfectly. He was really nervous about it. The thing is, Alec never wants to do anything! I can't get him to try sports or drama or instruments or anything...then one day he came home and said "mom, I'm in this dance thing at school". I about dropped dead because it literally was the last thing I thought would ever come out of his mouth! Anyway, it was last night and he did a really good job and it was really fun to watch him.
We were able to have a family weekend, too and that was really fun. We had Jennie and Wes (Scott's sister and husband), Heidi (Scott's sister) and her kids, Kathie (Scott's sister) and her kids, and David (Scott's brother) stay at our house. Dallen and Ashton had fun because they got to sleep in the tent that we had set out to dry in the garage (here is a picture)...
Then we were also able to spend time with my family and Julianne's son, Cade, turned 9 and then Rod's son, Porter, was baptized. Again...change is constant. We grow up and things come and go, but again I am grateful because how boring would it be if things always stayed the same?!? We are going to be going down to Phoenix this next week. We have narrowed it down to where we want to possible look to live and so we are going to be visiting neighborhoods and schools and see how we feel about certain places. This is the first move that we have known about and have to wait to move. It's sometimes frustrating because I just want to get it over with, but we have been able to slowly have closure and have seen the Lord helping us through this all.

1 comment:
Love the new blog look!
Post a Comment