Sunday, June 26, 2011

Summer days...





Well, summer has finally set in here...the days are up to anywhere from 110F to 115F! Let's just say that in the afternoon, we don't do much outside :). But, the boys have found some things to do, other than jumping off the roof into the pool (which they have already done and got caught!). One thing they are trying to do is build a go-cart that is motorized. They have BIG plans for this thing and are determined that it will work! Here are a couple pictures of Alec and Calvin working on it...
Here they are extending it so that they can mount a motor onto it. I asked them if they were putting it in between their legs and they looked at me like I was stupid...I guess, I didn't get what they were doing (not unusual!). Then after they worked on this for awhile...Alec asked if we were going anywhere and I said, "I was thinking of taking you to get your haircut" and he said, "I'm going to take care of it right now". Again, not understanding what he meant, Dallen soon came in and said "Alec is buzzing his head" and this is what I found...(notice Calvin watching in the bathtub :).



Needless to say, he saved me $15! Thanks, Alec! Another day, we went to Scott's sister's house, Heidi's, and hung out because her girls were heading to Girls Camp and they really wanted to hang out with Alec and Calvin, so we went up there. After awhile, I couldn't find Dallen...and then I heard him outside with his cousin, Jeremy. They both had a hose and were having a water fight. They were having so much fun, and Cinder (the dog), was trying to get in on the action. I love those moments for kids.

On Thursday we officially sold our 12-passenger van. It's been a great car, but we needed money out of it and it wasn't very city friendly because a round trip to any of Scott's families' houses costs $25 or so in that thing! I had been searching for minivans over the past few day, knowing the van was leaving, and just frustrated because we could only afford so much to spend on a car, yet the ones we could afford all had 150,000 to 185,000 miles already on them. So, once again...I was on my knees asking for the Lord's help. I just couldn't do this on my own. So, the guy who bought our van came and got it on Thursday and Friday morning I was on the computer looking for vans to buy. One popped up that was in our price range and only 116,000 miles on it. That may seem like a lot, but compared to what we were looking at, this was a gift! So, I asked Scott if he could take a long lunch break and go look at a couple of vans with me. Well, none of the other van owners called me back, except for this one. So, we drove out to literally the middle of nowhere and looked at this van. There are some minor things that are wrong...like the power sliding door doesn't power slide...but it opens, and to be honest...my kids probably would have broken it soon, anyway :) and there is a tail light out, but seriously, these things are nothing to me. So we drove the van, talked to the lady and asked her to lower it because of these small problems and she said yes, and we got it for the price we felt good about. Here is a picture of it...

We are happy with it and SO grateful. The boys fit pretty good and they'll get used to it. It will be interesting going on trips, though...loading stuff in there might be a little tight :). Oh well...it will be an adventure!


Also, this week, Ashton went on a Trek with his cousin, Megan. He said he had a great time and that his favorite part was the testimony meeting, where he felt the need to bare his testimony. That is huge for Ashton and I am sure a great experience. Calvin got to go on a kayaking river trip. They were going to make it a campout, but when it is 90F at night, it doesn't make it for a good night to camp out under the stars...especially with the river so close! So, they went down part of the river the first day and then the next day, they got up really early and went down the rest of the river. They had a really good time. There were four leaders and four boys. So, while Calvin and Ashton were gone, Alec and Dallen and I had to find something to do :). We went and saw Kung Fu Panda 2. It was cute, and totally set up for a third movie.


Scott is still loving his job and getting ready for next week when he starts a month of schooling where we will literally never see him. He will be coming home at 10:30 pm for half the week. I just hope he will be able to get all his homework done! I am just grateful it will only be for a month. We have been registering the boys for their schools, getting shots, etc. It's almost that time again! Well, this week is busy...I am tired of the kids sitting around, so we are going to go explore the city! Hope your summer is going good. If anyone has any ideas for TEENAGERS, I am all ears. I miss the little kids...they are so much easier to entertain. The teens just are lumps on a log to anything I suggest. We are taking a fieldtrip to the mall. That perked them up...and they are boys! I can only imagine if I had girls :).

2 comments:

Julianne said...

Sounds like you are keeping busy! I remember when you had a van just like that one! What a blessing to find one in your price range, though! I'm curious to see if your boys can get that motor running! Love ya, Amy!

Unknown said...

So great to pop onto your blog, and get updates on everyone. Thank you for keeping us posted on how you are doing out there. We love and miss you guys so much!!