Sunday, October 23, 2011

Another 16 year-old :)

We love Calvin! He has always had such a funny personality and smiley eyes. I love that he is always giving me hugs and telling me that he loves me. He's my teddy bear :). When he was little, he was always my lap child. We used to joke that as soon as someone would sit down on the floor, they would instantly be looking at Calvin's backside, backing up to them to sit down ("beep, beep, beep"...the sound of Calvin backing up!). He also would do quirky things like yell out random words. Either he or someone would be talking and he would yell out "CHICKEN NUGGET' or something like that and it would take us off guard and make us laugh. He still does stuff like that. He is always giggling, but can be very serious, too. He was my biggest baby...10 pounds 2 oz and a week early (Alec was the same weight, but a week late). I have a feeling he will be my tallest kid, too, but we'll see :).


Calvin had his 16th birthday this week! Although, unlike most 16 year-olds, he wasn't ecstatic...just happy because he still can't get his drivers license due to the fact that we haven't lived in Arizona for six months. He has to wait until January. He had a good day. He had to go to school, but he said it was a good day at school. He wanted to go out with Alec, and so they ran to Game Stop to put money (his birthday money) toward a game that is coming out in November ("Need For Speed - The Run"). On the way home, pulling out of the parking stall, Alec backed into a car! Calvin was freaking out. Supposedly the lady was honking her horn, but they had the music up loud and couldn't hear. There was no damage to our van, and there was a small scratch to her car. She took Alec's insurance info and gave us hers. They were freaking out. Anyway, I am glad they were all safe. It definitely shook Alec up enough to be a little more careful! They came home and we had Pie and Ice Cream (before dinner!). Calvin picked Pumpkin and Lemon Meringue and Mint Chocolate chip Ice Cream (those do not go together!). After the festivities at home, they went to try a Chinese restaurant that someone told them about called the "Asian Cafe Express". He said that when they walked in, there were only Asian people and they felt so out of place. They were going to stay and eat, but the guy gave it to them as "to go", and so they came home and we watch "Transformers 3".



Scott continues to do well in school. While we were away on the cruise, he missed 3 tests! He was a little worried about making them up, which he did on Monday. He did awesome and made A+, A, and B+. Then the next day he took another test that the rest of the class was taking on Monday and he made an A on that, as well! He is still really liking it and very happy. It is really nice to not have to worry whether or not this is going to work out or not because he has never had this determination and love for what he is doing. It is really great to see. I am excited for him that he has found something that he loves and is passionate about.



Derrek just took his ACT yesterday. He doesn't think he did very good on it because he said he couldn't concentrate and felt that he was running out of time and ended up guessing on some. I personally hate the test (I am not a good test taker). He plans on taking it again in December or the next one after that. He is doing good, too and we can't wait to see him in November. It's been hard on all of us to be apart and not be able to get him down here to visit. But, it builds character...we have a lot of that!


The other three boys are doing good. Alec is going to be getting his toe-nail taken off this week. He kept ignoring that it was infected and when I would ask him about it and ask him if he felt he needed to go to the doctor, he would just brush it off. Well, it has been infected for a couple months and he mentioned something the other day and I said..."That's it. You are going to the doctor". So, he did and now he is on a antibiotic and will go in on Thursday to have his toe nail remove. The funny thing is that my toe started acting funny, infected and stuff and so I think I will see if I can tag onto his appointment (I haven't looked to see how bad mine is because my toe nail is painted cute with flowers and I don't want to take it off! I'll wait until the day of the doctor visit!). I am doing good. I haven't started looking again for a job. It is really hard because I have always told my Heavenly Father that the kids will always come first (if I don't make that promise, I will be a work-a-holic because motherhood is hard compared to working outside the home...at the end of the day, you can leave your office and go home...motherhood doesn't get that break.). Anyway, trying to find something within the hours that the kids are at school has been hard. I am going to talk to my friend who is a court reporter. She works from home and maybe that is something I can go and do? I don't know at this point. Keep us in your prayers :).

2 comments:

Todd and Wendy said...

I missed out on getting to say Happy Birthday to Calvin (though I'm a little scared after what happened the last time I tried to show one of my nephews that I loved him.... :P) Love that kid, Happy 16th Birthday Calvin!!!

Amy I love you, I'm glad you had some time to relax and get away from it all for a while, if anyone in this world deserves a little "you" time... it's YOU!!!

Wes and Jennie said...

I should have told Calvin Happy Birthday, I just finished transfering my calendar into my new phone and I still missed it, sorry Calvin. I hope the toe thing goes well for you and Alec I have had problems with that before and know how painful it can be. Ouch!