Sunday, October 16, 2011

Back to Life...Back to Reality...(yes, it is a song!)

K...I'll get to this week in a minute...

Since I last wrote, I had a birthday. It was a fun day. My sisters-in-law took me to get a pedicure and go out to lunch. It was perfect. Then I made enchiladas for dinner...yum. Then we had FHE because it was on a Monday. Our friends, the Blackhursts came by and sang "Happy Birthday" to me and gave me some Cold Stone ice cream...chocolate with brownie chunks! Then for FHE I wanted to go get Gelato. It was perfect.






On the last post, I wrote that I went and helped my friend, Anna, who had just started chemo. Well, less than a week later, she passed away (three days after my birthday). That was really hard for me. It has been a weird experience with Anna. We had an instant connection when we met. I have never had that before and usually it takes me six months to a year to let my guard down and feel that I am friends with someone. Not Anna...it was instant for both of us. I am so grateful for the time I had with her. It was only 4 months, but it was like a tender mercy that maybe the Lord was having her hold on so that I could have those moments. Its really weird. Anyway, when she knew it was the beginning of the end, she told her husband that she wanted no one but Scott (and Bunker Funeral Homes) to take care of her. He felt so priveledged and as soon as we found out that she had passed away, Scott rushed over and took care of her that evening. He said it was such a reverent experience and he felt very priveledged. She was 41 years old. She was a beautiful person.

This last week, Scott and I went on a Disney Cruise to the Mexican Riviera...which actually ended up being a Baja California cruise because we couldn't go to Puerta Vallarta because there was a hurricane that went ashore there and was followed by two tropical storms! So, we went as far down as Cabo San Lucas and Disney scheduled another stop at Ensenada (about 70 miles south of Tiajuana...if that gives you a clue!). We were at sea for four of the seven days. But, Disney was great and kept us entertained even when we were all stuck on the boat most of the time. We played games like naming 100 movie quotes, 80's songs, match your mate, and others. Cabo was beautiful. Scott and I got fried! We were too cheap to pay the $13 for sunscreen on board and so we went into town and it was MORE! We didn't want to have to go all the way back to the boat, so we got fried. The sand was perfect and the ocean was so clear and blue and SALTY! The second day there, we got a boat taxi and went to "LUBBER's Beach", otherwise known as "Lover's Beach" and on the other side, the natives call it "Divorce Beach" because you can't swim on that side because of the tide/undercurrent there. We paid the guy for a round trip ride and we thought we were stranded when he didn't show up at the time he said he would pick us up. He finally got to us (thank Heaven!) almost an hour later! We were just grateful that he came because we had brought no other cash or debit card. We were going to have to bum off people at the beach who had Disney towels from the boat, but we didn't have to.




We went to Ensenada next and we were greeted by sea lions barking. It was fun to see. Then we walked into town to see if there was anything (all there was to do was shop). We were followed by a lot of kids selling gum or other things. I guess most people can't refuse little kids, but we did. We didn't stay out long and went back to the boat. We watched "The Help" on board. Scott had never seen it. It was just as good the second time for me.




We were greatful to Heidi and her family this past week. The boys and dogs went to her house and stayed. And also to Kathie and her family for keeping them busy (tearing out her shower) and taking Dallen camping. Ashton had a campout, also, and had fun. It was nice not to worry about them, considering we had no way to communicate with them unless it was an emergency. Then we came home and the fun starts. Alec managed to put a hole in one of the walls in the hallway today, the dishwasher is broken, and something else happened, but I can't remember. Anyway, the kids are well and safe and I guess that's all that matters.




Also, my sister, Jenette and her husband Craig had their first child this last Monday. Her name is Hannah Sophia Whetten. She was a whopping 9 lbs. 1 0z and 20 1/2 inches long. Jenette had to be induced and it took pretty much all day. Isn't she cute?!?

Derrek got to go see her tonight because they are in St. George as they are in transition of housing right now.




Well, things are settling in pretty good. It is hard to come home from a vacation where you literally have no choice but live in the moment and you have no communication of your "former/future" life. As we were driving in, I started with the thoughts of things that were coming this next week and I actually got teary-eyed because it was nice to not think about money, kids, jobs, and other worries that are a constant here. Oh well, life goes on. It was a fun trip and I'm glad we got to go.

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

I'm glad you guys got to take a break and go on a cruise, it sounds like it was fun, outside of the frying. That little Hannah is darling! She reminds me a lot of what Cady looked like, she was 9lbs 15 oz, so she had those chubby cheeks too. Chubby babies are adorable! :o)